1858banner

Author Topic: New Dragoon coming, I think  (Read 1474 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
New Dragoon coming, I think
« on: September 05, 2020, 10:21:05 AM »
Hi, some few weeks ago a member here said that he had an Uberti Whitneyville-Hartford Dragoon that he would like to trade for an Uberti 1862 Navy. That Buy Sell or Trade was screwed up with the message board issues. Since I already have three 1862s I agreed to trade him my newest 1862 Navy for his Dragoon. My 1862 Navy arrived to him in short order, but after three weeks I am still waiting for the Dragoon. It seems to have been lost in shipping. The other person has started a search, but I am concerned that it was lifted by an USPS employee. The Whitneyville-Hartford Dragoon is one revolver that I don't have in my collection so I am disappointed that is somewhere in USPS space.

Since I already have Walker spare parts, the Whitneyville-Hartford Dragoon would fit in very well to my collection.

I have concerns that I may never see that revolver.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: New Dragoon coming, I think
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 10:58:35 AM »
Sorry to hear of that Richard.  Hopefully it got caught up in the Covid crap and will show up soon.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 01:58:36 PM »
Richard,

I truly hope yours shows up. I think you made a splendid deal trading the 1862 Pocket Navy for it. Pricewise, new WH Dragoons sell for ~$100 more than the Pocket Navy: Midway $426; Taylor's $476; Cimarron $485.

I am really hoping you get one of the earlier Uberti versions. They were more historically correct as the trigger/bolt screw did not protrude through the right side of the frame. Subsequent ones did, like my CU/2019 one.

Early version:

Current version:

Mine that I got on sale from Midway last September for $360 plus taxes plus shipping = $399:

When I was looking for one last Summer, I remembered that Midway had previously held two sales for the gun earlier in the year, so I contacted them as to when it might go on sale again. Two days later it went on sale. Coincidence? I don't know, but I would put a bug in their marketing department's ear; it can't hurt and won't cost a cent to do so. Midway loves to move merchandise: they have 3 left as of today: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002300991?pid=739564

Just some photos to drool over until yours arrives.  ;)

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »
That really sucks Richard. Hopefully it appears on your doorstep. Might just be covid related nonsense.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 03:06:55 AM »
Was there no tracking number?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 09:27:14 AM »
Hi Hawg, yes there is USPS tracking, 9114902307224270467024. After the dragoon owner asked USPS to do a trace yesterday, the date and time leaving Buffalo, NY was changed. However, that is the same information from a couple of weeks ago. The proof of the pudding is if the package shows up at the Attica post office on Tuesday morning.

Thankfully, the dragoon owner took out insurance so this will end up satisfactory, I think.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 09:32:09 AM »
Hi Jim, the Dragoon has been fired some. The 1862 Navy was never fired, and the short arbor fixed. I think that the trade is equitable.

Equitable? Hmmmm he has the 1862 Navy and I have a tracking number. lol

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 11:16:20 AM »
Hopefully it will get there Tuesday.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 03:50:29 AM »
Hi, great news, the Dragoon is at my Attica, NY post office!! Should get the Dragoon today.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »
That's great news Richard!
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 09:33:08 AM »
Hi, great news, the Dragoon is at my Attica, NY post office!! Should get the Dragoon today.

Regards,
Richard

Thank goodness! WOOO HOOOOO
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 09:57:26 AM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the encouragement. As soon as I have the Dragoon, I will post some photos. I was thinking that it would be cool to do a nitre bluing job on the Dragoon. Charcoal bluing was the bluing method of Sam Colt.

I intend to turn the Dragoon into a showcase revolver as a winter project. Winters are long here.

Of course, I need to shoot it first and report back.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 03:43:43 AM »
Hi, the Uberti Whitneyville-Hartford Dragoon arrived yesterday. Was built in 2019 (CU) and is in like new condition. It is so nice that it would be a shame to replaced perfectly good bluing. Have not yet disassembled it, but all I think it needs is a arbor length mod. This will be a nice revolver to add to my collection.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 08:49:35 AM »
Hi, today I stripped the Dragoon. Opening the revolver had all sorts of black powder residue fall out. I don't think that the internals were ever cleaned. The bore and chambers were spotless so the user did clean those parts well. The nipples in the cylinder are frozen in and now have a good dose of Kroil working on the nipples. The parts have been scrubbed clean and now drying in my kitchen oven @250deg for a half hour.

This experience should remind all BP revolver shooters to often clean the internals of their revolvers. The internals of most BP revolvers are simple and opening up the revolver lets a user understand the internal workings.

Stoning of the Dragoon's internal parts comes next.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
That's a beautiful example of a Whitneyville. The gun itself is a stunner with it's mixture of Walker and Dragoon bits, and that one looks quite pristine.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"