1858banner

Author Topic: New Dragoon coming, I think  (Read 1420 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: New Dragoon coming, I think
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 09:35:21 AM »
Hi Kirk, I am very impressed with the Dragoon. Unlike the Walker that is like holding railroad tie out in one hand, the Dragoon is just perfect in every respect. I am so impressed that I just ordered a .45 Colt conversion cylinder for the Dragoon. I love shooting my Walkers, but the Dragoon is exactly what a perfect .45 Colt revolver should be. I now know why Mike (Goon) prefers the Dragoon.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »
Hi Kirk, I am very impressed with the Dragoon. Unlike the Walker that is like holding railroad tie out in one hand, the Dragoon is just perfect in every respect. I am so impressed that I just ordered a .45 Colt conversion cylinder for the Dragoon. I love shooting my Walkers, but the Dragoon is exactly what a perfect .45 Colt revolver should be. I now know why Mike (Goon) prefers the Dragoon.

Regards,
Richard

Is this your first Dragoon, Richard?
If so...now you know why I have 3 of them. You adapt to the weight and size relatively quickly and don't notice it after a day or so.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 11:28:56 AM »
The Dragoon has become my favorite pistol. I have two of them myself. Someday, I will have a Whitneyville also. I love the Walker style grip and frame, but the Dragoon length barrel. Just a perfect pistol.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 12:51:44 PM »
Thanks Richard!! I've had a love affair with the Dragoon series since the '80s !! They are big, but not too big and after a while, like Cap says, they become "normal" !!  My  "45's"  have been just outstanding for almost 10 yrs now and I don't baby them one bit!! In fact, I'm rather "demanding" of them!!  If Freedom Arms made a "Dragoon" .  .  .  they'd be like mine!!
  Mine have an action shield added which keeps the outside outside and the inside inside as well as interference pins which keep the action screws from ever loosening if I shot from now till eternity!! Lol!!
ShotgunDave!! We have good company!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 03:00:32 PM »
OK, I'll display my ignorance (again!); what features are different on the Whitneyville-Hartford Dragoon from the "regular" Dragoon? When were the changes made?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 03:09:37 PM »
Em, the Whitneyville Dragoon is also known as the Transitional model. It was the first series of Dragoons made after the Walker. The grip enters into the frame like Walker and has the old "V" type mainspring. It also has the oval stop slots on the cylinder and the shorter barrel of the Dragoon. After the Whitneyville, came the First model Dragoon.

The first model had the more familiar grip that all other the Dragoons have but still had the oval stop slots. Then the second model dispensed with the oval stop slots and went to rectangular. On the third model they dropped the square back trigger guard and the lever latch changed.

I'm sure I'm probably missing a few things, but that about sums it up.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 03:38:54 PM »
You pretty much got it Dave. Somewhere in the 1st series the V mainspring became flat and the hammer roll showed up.  Interestingly, the "advancements" from the Dragoon series is what trickled down to the shall we say "lesser" models .  .  .  (lol). 
  As mentioned, the Walker grip is just a splendid thing which is why the Whitneyville gets the  " Top Rank "  along with the closed action screw holes on the right side (like the Walker) for me! But, I fully respect all the models of the Dragoons.

Mike

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »
Thanks, I knew the differences in the Dragoon series, but not the W-H Dragoon.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 05:16:20 PM »
The Whitneyville Dragoon has the Walker frame  ( closed trigger and bolt screw  holes on the right side) and grip.  It's really just a Walker with a shorter barrel, arbor, and cylinder. 

Mike

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2020, 06:38:32 PM »
The Whitneyville Dragoon has the Walker frame (closed trigger and bolt screw holes on the right side) and grip.  It's really just a Walker with a shorter barrel, arbor, and cylinder. 

Mike

You are correct, but the WH that Uberti markets today does not exhibit those traits: the trigger/bolt screws protrude to the right side of the frame. I have one.

The very early Uberti WH Dragoons were correct. I found one about 6 months ago on GB, but the seller was asking a huge price for it and it did not sell. I still kick myself for not buying it because very few were produced.

Regards,

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2020, 06:39:35 PM »
Hi, the hammer on the Uberti Whitneyville is different than the Uberti Walker. The Walker has a hammer link to the hammer spring, the Whitneyville does not have that link. Also, the Walker hammer spring has a pawl to capture the hammer link. The Whitneyville doesn't have that pawl. Therefore both the hammer and hammer spring isn't interchangeable between the Uberti Walker and Whitneyville Dragoon.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 06:43:43 PM »
Hi, the hammer on the Uberti Whitneyville is different than the Uberti Walker. The Walker has a hammer link to the hammer spring, the Whitneyville does not have that link. Also, the Walker hammer spring has a pawl to capture the hammer link. The Whitneyville doesn't have that pawl. Therefore both the hammer and hammer spring isn't interchangeable between the Uberti Walker and Whitneyville Dragoon.

Regards,
Richard
I've read that before, but sorta hard to picture in my mind. Would you do us a favor and next time you have them apart, maybe snap a pic or two outlining the physical differences?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 09:25:54 AM »
Yes, I would like to see that also.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »
I haven't seen that here. The V mainspring (as far as Walkers /Whitney's go) is the correct (historically) setup for Walkers and Whitneyville Dragoons. The "cupped" end of the mainspring rides the hammer  (without the benefit of a hammer roll) but it does deliver a mechanical advantage of "acceleration" because of how it rides the hammer for the last bit of travel! That is exactly where I discovered the  "Goons Kickass Mainspring"  mod for flat mains!!!  As far as what setup one may find in an aftermarket copy as being "historically correct" is whimsy ("whatever makes it work to get it out the door" ain't history).

Mike

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 11:00:32 AM »
Hi, Mike, you are correct. Both the Uberti Whitneyville Dragoon and Uberti Walker have the same mainspring. I am f-ing old, stupid, where the mainspring of the Paterson confused me. lol Guess I just have too many BP revolvers. It took looking in my huge spare parts box to see the truth. Sorry for the misinformation.

This is the shape of both the Walker and Uberti Whitneyville Dragoon revolver:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/6206/category_id/498/product_name/TP0242+Mainspring+-+V+shaped+for+reproduction+Colt+Walker+or+First++Second+Model+Dragoon+Revolver

This is good to learn since I have a couple of Walker mainsprings that were narrowed to produce a lighter hammer and trigger pull.

Maybe I'm just too old to keep posting here?

Regards,
Richard