1858banner

Author Topic: Sticky cylinder and/or hammer doesn't want to cock  (Read 166 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Sticky cylinder and/or hammer doesn't want to cock
« on: September 06, 2020, 09:48:45 AM »
Hello. I hope you all can help me again with this. What is making it hard to cock the hammer and/or the cylinder hard to turn?

At first I thought it was "late bolt pickup", in which the bolt is not coming out of the cylinder stop notch soon enough. You helped me with that before and your suggestions to file the "shelf" on the bolt worked. I corrected that problem so now the bolt does come out of the stop notch well before the cylinder starts turning.

I just cannot figure out why the cylinder is still "sticky" for lack of a better term. When I cock the hammer sometimes the hammer won't go back unless I wiggle the cylinder. It usually happens when I shoot full charges. It rarely happens with light charges unless I've fired a lot of rounds and the gun is dirty. It never happens when I'm not shooting and the gun is clean. At home and I'm just working the action the gun appears to work perfectly.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky cylinder and/or hammer doesn't want to cock
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 11:28:07 AM »
Have you tried cleaning-lubing the arbor and arbor hole? It sounds like a build-up of fouling.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 12:40:17 PM »
Yes, I have tried fully disassembling and cleaning the gun. It works better when clean and with light charges but as soon as I load heavy charges it starts giving me problems. My gut instinct is that something in the internals is wiggling around, maybe the bolt arm/cam interface locking up.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 12:55:28 PM »
LP, open top?

If so, probably short arbor needs fixing. Heavy loads probably seating the arbor further into bbl assy. causing cyl drag.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:05:47 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 02:55:51 PM »
Yes, open top. It's a Uberti 1851 Navy circa 2017 edition. I don't think it's the arbor, I have a washer epoxied into the arbor hole.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »
So you can't lock the cylinder up with the wedge driven in as far as it will go (even with the washer)?  It's all I can think of that load differences would make.

Mike

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 08:45:46 PM »
Does it jam tight?  You used the term “sticky”. 

Got reasonable clearance between the forcing cone and cylinder face?  Binding can happen there, especially with heavy charges.
"A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition".
                              -Rudyard Kipling

"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 11:18:49 PM »
I know you said there was a washer in the arbor hole but tap that wedge in tight and see if the cylinder binds.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 07:50:16 AM »
I have good clearance between the cylinder and forcing cone. I can tap the wedge in all the way and the cylinder will not bind. It does not feel like the resistance is not coming from the cylinder rubbing the forcing cone. It's coming from inside the action somewhere.

I found a video that shows what looks like the same thing. See what happens at about 3:00-3:07, that looks exactly like what my gun is doing. You can see him pull back the hammer part way, then it stops and he has to wiggle the cylinder.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 08:02:16 AM »
I am wondering if it has something to do with Uberti's not having a clearance cut at the base of the arbor for the hand. It makes it so if you try to cock the gun with the cylinder out the hand will bind against the base of the arbor. With the cylinder in it pushes the hand back and prevents it from binding.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 12:31:43 PM »
  That sounds like a possibility Lonesome. Disassemble the hand from the gun and check for signs of binding, both on the sides and on the nose. Also Polishing the recess in the frame where the hand rides is a standard tuning procedure.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 04:35:27 PM »
How much Bbl / cyl clearance is there? The hand shouldn't be able to move forward enough for it to bind  with cyl installed. There shouldn't be more than .004" - .005" max.
  I'm pretty sure the Walker in the vid still had a short arbor.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:45:20 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »
I can't see where the revolver will work not loaded, and light loads, but not heavy loads. It doesn't take much powder to "kill" a target or gong, maybe just shoot light loads until you get this thing figured out.