1858banner

Author Topic: Colt 2nd gen photos  (Read 590 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Colt 2nd gen photos
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 05:17:11 PM »
Thanks Jim,

I have enjoyed these so much over the years as part of my collection.  Before I downsized I built some custom black walnut display cases with glass shelves and lighting in my cabinet shop that I owned and had all of them including the ones that I've sold already on display.  For me it was like looking at a jewelry case full of diamonds.  It still makes me a little sad to think that the time has come to sell them to let someone else enjoy them.  I'll be posting more as the week goes on and I feel up to it.

I know exactly how you feel about your collection.  Having tuned 70 in March, and dealing with Parkinson's disease on top of it, I wonder how long before I have to start thinking about selling them off.  I've posted this picture before of some of my cased sets that will eventually need a good home.  There are no family members even remotely interested in them other than cash value.

You could always adopt me Fingers. I'd give every one of them a loving home.  L@.
  The line for that is looooong
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 06:23:06 PM »
Like you, I have been "thinning the herd" for the past 3-4, years and it hurts with the passing of each one. I have "back slid" a few times and bought a couple of guns, but still have a few to sell.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 07:21:04 PM »
Thanks Jim,

I have enjoyed these so much over the years as part of my collection.  Before I downsized I built some custom black walnut display cases with glass shelves and lighting in my cabinet shop that I owned and had all of them including the ones that I've sold already on display.  For me it was like looking at a jewelry case full of diamonds.  It still makes me a little sad to think that the time has come to sell them to let someone else enjoy them.  I'll be posting more as the week goes on and I feel up to it.

I know exactly how you feel about your collection.  Having tuned 70 in March, and dealing with Parkinson's disease on top of it, I wonder how long before I have to start thinking about selling them off.  I've posted this picture before of some of my cased sets that will eventually need a good home.  There are no family members even remotely interested in them other than cash value.

You could always adopt me Fingers. I'd give every one of them a loving home.  L@.
  The line for that is looooong

Of that I have no doubt Fingers.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Badgerfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 07:46:17 PM »
Mazo Kid,  I backslide on occasion although not as often as I used to.  I still have a weakness for Ruger Old Armies of all things and can't resist them for some reason.  I have managed to thin them down to 2 from 10 at one time.  I've had several of the fixed sight versions but still prefer the adjustable sight stainless models.  I have the same weakness for adjustable sight 58 Remingtons.  Although not historically correct in any aspect like the Old Armies I still enjoyed them for punching paper when I was still able to. 

I had a few spare minutes and not in a lot of pain right at the minute so I thought I would post another Colt.

This is the 2nd gen F series 3rd Model Dragoon made in 1981.  It has a very,very faint turn line in a couple of spots but is unfired as well.

I'll be posting a pair of unfired  C series 51 Navies next.  One is in the original wood grain box and the other is in a cased set.  If I can keep up at this pace I should have all of the photos up within a few days.  That is unless we have another radical weather change which really affects all of the titanium rods and plates in my back.  It seems like once it gets cold there is no way to warm it back up.  Maybe time to sell the farm and move to a warmer climate before the rodeo is over.  Time will tell.

I've been asked why I don't polish the brass and silver trigger guards and back straps and here is the reason.  I was always taught not to modify or clean the patina off of original arms.  My dad told me that it can affect the value in a negative way and it has always stuck with me.  It might not be the right thing to do but it's what I know.  If they were Italian copies I wouldn't mind doing that but on an original it doesn't seem right.  I never did anything to my 1st series CW era Colts and left them more or less as found.  I would oil and wipe them down but not use any more aggressive cleaning on them.  It seemed to pay off when they went to the museum. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 07:53:47 PM by Badgerfarm »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 07:52:16 PM »
Man, I love Dragoons BF. You have some real beauties too.

Glad you're feeling good right now. Keep em' coming!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Badgerfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 07:55:13 PM »
Thanks Dave,

As of right now the weather is not hurting me too much but when the cold damp weather gets here I'll really be in a pickle then. 

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 08:10:05 PM »
Like you, I have been "thinning the herd" for the past 3-4, years and it hurts with the passing of each one. I have "back slid" a few times and bought a couple of guns, but still have a few to sell.

I've tried that thinning th herd thing. Only problem is I usually end up with the same number.  It seems that I haven't fully grasped the definition of thinning.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 05:07:16 AM »
I think Fingers has reached the Point of Equilibrium.   A rare occurrence in the collecting world.   

Offline Badgerfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 07:43:19 AM »
A pair of C series 51 Navies.

The one in the old wood grain box is from 1972.  The old wood grain box has been around the block but it is the original box for it.

The one in the case with accessories is from 1975.  I would like to know where the original owner that I bought all of these from got his accessories.  He wouldn't tell me where he got them but they aren't the run of the mill imported type stuff.  I've not been able to find any stamps or makers marks on any of them but they are very high quality.  It never did make any sense why he wouldn't share that information with me but then again he was a little eccentric to say the least. 

Offline Badgerfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 07:46:40 AM »
My full fluted model F1203 1860 Army made in 1980.

Offline Badgerfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 08:02:12 AM »
 The 1861 Pocket Navy in case with goodies made in 1980.

Offline Badgerfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2020, 08:03:26 AM »
And, at last my 1862 Pocket Police in case with goodies also made in 1980.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 08:34:36 AM »
Holy moly BF, those are all fantastic!

I really like the fluted 1860 Army. That gun is just gorgeous.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Badgerfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 08:57:59 AM »
Thanks Dave.  That was a special model from Colt and they made fewer of them than the standard F1200 1860 with the roll engraved cylinder. 

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 09:53:18 AM »
The fluted models are rare from any manufacturer. I had an Uberti fluted Model. I sold it to help fund a Sharps rifle purchase.
-Abe Lincoln