1858banner

Author Topic: Stevens 410 Single Shot  (Read 79 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stevens 410 Single Shot
« on: November 20, 2020, 06:25:35 PM »
Right after I got the H & R 44 Shot, it dawned on me that I did not own a truly good representative of a 410 single shot. I grew up with a 410. I took a ton of grouse with it in my early days.

I do have a Winchester modle 37 in that gauge, but they have to be the most butt ugly single shot ever made. I have used it to kill a lot of grouse and pests on the property. It has rested for years at the ready with a shell right handy.

Well I went looking on gunstoker. Iver Johnson was the dominate species available, as well as their off shoot hardware Excell versions. They were selling for a premium with lots of bidders. Not much else was available. Then came along this later version Stevens. No one would touch it because it had a bad appearance. Turns out some previous owner had covered every piece of metal and the Bakelight butt plate with a cheap varnish. What the hell gets into peoples heads? At least it cut down on the rust over the years. I grabbed it up and it was a quick rehab with no alteration to the original integrity of the gun. This little fart is in excellent shape!!!

I chose to shoot brass hulls and black powder. It shoots them with full authority. I put four rounds through her this afternoon just because. I am going to take it out in the morning and wander the ridges and draws and see if I can kill a local wild turkey with it.

IMG_0038 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

IMG_0042 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

IMG_0044 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

IMG_0047 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:45:31 PM by scooby »

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stevens 410 Single Shot
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 08:05:53 AM »
Good score! Are those shells "real" 410 or did you make some? I made some from .303 British brass, and a few from 444 Marlin brass. The 303 British shells are a tad short, but a single shot doesn't care. I only have one, maybe two actual 410 brass shells.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 08:54:09 AM »
Yes Mazo, they are current production Magtech and are 2 1/2 inches long.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 04:57:07 PM by scooby »

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 01:10:05 PM »
Nice! It looks like you have your new camera figured out! L@.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 02:31:38 PM »
Fantastic score Scoob! That little gun looks like brand new.

I also agree with Em. Your pics are awesome, as always.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 04:58:56 PM »
The camera has a few too many bells and whistles for my liking, but I have indeed figured my way with it.

I went for a hunt this morning with the little 410, but could not locate any turkeys. I did get to see three different whitetail bucks and 13 does.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 05:05:11 PM by scooby »