1858banner

Author Topic: 1860 2nd Gen Loading Issues  (Read 1635 times)

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Re: 1860 2nd Gen Loading Issues
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2021, 09:18:19 AM »
I'd just ram them in as far as they will go and them taking a hacksaw, cut them off flush..................   (7+" &\?
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2021, 05:33:50 PM »
I used this one here:

https://www.thejeffersonarsenal.com/product-page/44-johnston-dow-pistol-conicals-60rds

According to the site itís made using the Eraís Gone mold. Once I got that adjustable measure to test load without using the flask spout I was able to load it with 30 grain. Still working on paper cartridges, tho.

I will urge you to please not use the (or ANY spout on a FLASK) spout that is attached to any kinda flask of any kind. You are holding a HANDGERNADE.

As an experiment try this if you have not done so already;

- pour your 3F real black powder into a tablespoon.
-now set the spoon down in a safe spot.
-take a LONG fireplace match and lite the spoonful.
-observe how fast it burns

Now imagine your hand wrapped around even a small flask full of black powder igniting from even the smallest ember left in any of those fired chambers.

To be fair, I and others have been doing this for decades and to my knowledge never has this happened. BUT ... do you want to gamble with YOUR hands ... you know ... the things you eat with, blow your nose with, dress yourself with and maybe the most important ... wipe your bumm with?

Best to use a separate held measure  that holds maybe 30 GRAINS  ... which will still char a finger a bit ... but not enough to disable you.

Food for thought at least.
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2021, 05:53:45 PM »
Thanks for that reminder, Ted! We all need our fingers...Safety can't be overstessed.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Ambaryerno

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2021, 06:53:24 PM »
So I think I'm going to need to take the Colt in to a smith. Even with a cartridge former specifically designed for 30 grain (shorter but wider cartridge than the Cap and Ball one), and taking the cylinder off to start it to make sure the cartridge is going in straight, it still won't seat quite enough to load paper cartridges with that charge. So maybe the chambers just aren't quite or deep enough or are just a little too small diameter (didn't the original Colts have a slightly larger chamber?). Also, the loading window probably needs to be enlarged (I could swear I read the 2nd Gens had the correct size window, but I guess not).

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2021, 11:51:35 AM »
I know that even with round ball loads, 30 grains is about the limit in my 44's. Remington New Army might hold a bit more but all my Colts have this 30 grain RB load at max.

Conicals hold much less (I should clarify this holds true of the pointed Colt bullets) powder ... if memorie holds ... around 24 to 26 grains ... make ramming the point to be even with the cylinder face.
BIGTED

Offline Ambaryerno

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2021, 12:08:50 PM »
I'm using Johnston & Dows which SHOULD load 30 grain in the Colt 1860 Army.

So I do have an update since we finally had a good day for shooting. I fired four loads altogether. The first was preloaded with my paper cartridges and the other three were with loose powder. The results:

1) Good news: The paper I was using for my cartridges (some were flash paper, some were the nitrated paper I got from Buffalo Arms) ignites just fine, so no danger of misfires there.
2) Bad news: Even with loose powder only some of the chambers can load 30 grain with the J&Ds and still allow the bullet to seat all the way and allow the cylinder to turn. I know for certain one did, but I gave up and switched to 25 before checking all six. I just didn't feel like removing the cylinder to flatten the tips enough to fit. :-P
3) Annoyance: I kept having caps on the unfired chambers pop off when I shot. I'm using #10 Remingtons.

Also, twice I had a chamber fire successfully, but the cap didn't allow the hammer to fall completely. This locked the cylinder because the gun still thought it was cocked. Both times I was able to clear with a little bit of work.

I didn't hit the first target at all. I kind of scattered across the remaining three, but considering I'm both dealing with powder loads and haven't shot regularly in forever, I'm happy just to hit SOMEthing. :-P

I've got the day off on Monday, so I'm going to take it in to see if anything can be done with the chambers (I may make up six more cartridges so they have something to test/work with). I think the loading window is also too small (it was really a struggle trying to load the cartridges. I'd thought the Colt 2nd Gens had a larger window, but I guess not) so I'll have that enlarged as well.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2021, 08:01:20 PM »
Man that sucks that you're having such an inordinate amount of trouble with that gun. Sounds like it was a Friday 5:00 deal.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2021, 08:54:26 PM »
Also, twice I had a chamber fire successfully, but the cap didn't allow the hammer to fall completely. This locked the cylinder because the gun still thought it was cocked. Both times I was able to clear with a little bit of work.

You're not fully seating the caps. Use a wood dowel to push them on. Caps are not pressure sensitive. Some people even push them on with the hammer.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.