colt banner

Author Topic: Panic trying to find .32 S&W brass  (Read 13657 times)

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
Re: Panic trying to find .32 S&W brass
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »

I'll be the idiot here, I can live with it for a moment.  I've had a .32SW and .38SW for years, I have factory ammo for both...for years.  The last Natchez catolog shows Winchester white box .32SW and Magtech for both .32SW and .38SW.  I've got two boxes now of Remington and Fiocchi.
   I know you guys are into serious reloading and I have great respect for that.
   But...if you seriously can't find brass, can't you buy factory loads and reload that brass?
  Just wondering, I've been following this thread for awhile.
  While I like my pistols...they are pocket pistols...I can't see test firing them for function more than a few times now and then.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 08:28:39 PM »

But...if you seriously can't find brass, can't you buy factory loads and reload that brass?
  Just wondering,

Hi Sam, I considered buying 32 S&W ammo, but that isn't available either. I did find some for sale on GunBroker, but it was much too expensive.

Cutting down 32 S&W Long brass is working out for me.

Since I'm already an 1849 Pocket pervert that can leave handling the revolvers alone, shooting them is even more satisfying.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 05:25:46 AM »
yup Sam, I realize that there is factory ammo available, but the particular years that the guns I am purchasing were made in, and the age of em, makes it pretty much imperative that i load up with black powder instead of smokeless.  That, and it's cheaper, lol! *6'
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 07:36:03 AM »

Point well taken guys and thanks for the answer.  I was just wondering.  :)

In my case, the pistols in question are the later break-top S&Ws and I feel no problem shooting them with modern ammo, occasionally.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 12:08:05 PM »
Hi, just a note to let you know that Midway has 32 S&W Long brass in stock, I ordered 500, see:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/941617924/starline-reloading-brass-32-s-and-w-long?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Regards,
Richard

Hi, just a note to tell you that the Starline 32 S&W Long brass cut down to 32 S&W (short) is far superior to the more expensive Lapua brass. I cut 100 pieces down and loaded them. The Starline primer pocket is better sized than the Lapua where primers don't need to be forced in.

Something that I was concerned about was the annealing of the case end. Cutting the Long brass to produce (short) brass could cut off the case annealed portion. Only time will tell if this creates a problem for the cut down brass, it may not last as long as properly sized and annealed cases?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
Starline is good brass. I would not be concerned about the annealing. If it becomes a problem, you can do it yourself using a propane torch.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 04:52:24 AM »
Hi, I am starting to panic trying to find more .32 S&W brass for my 1849 Pocket conversion cylinders. I purchased the last 100 piece bag that Cabelas had and have 300 more on backorder. The backorder now is lengthened to 7-8 weeks. 32 S&W short isn't available from any other source in volume. Starline doesn't make 32 S&W (short), but does make 32 S&W Long. I am ready to cut down the 32 long to make short brass. Checking on the Starline direct order store, it appears that .32 S&W Long may never be available again. I did find Lapua Reloading Brass 32 S&W Long at Midway and ordered 200 brass. The Lupua brass is ~twice the price of Magtech (the brass I have on backorder), but what can I do.

I have never seen such a brass shortage. The old and somewhat obsolete calibers are taking a back seat to the modern firearm market.

IMO if you have an old or obscure caliber, buy all the brass you can because you may never see it on the market again.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, the 32 S&W brass I had on backorder from November at Cabelas has finally shipped. It is in transit, but Cabelas never sent me an email that it shipped. Are they too embarrassed for the delay to email me?  ;)

I notice that Cabelas still lists the 32 S&W brass as backorderable.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »
I notice that Cabelas still lists the 32 S&W brass as backorderable.
Sure they do. Question is, will you still be alive when it ships? *6'

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »
Richard, you seem to have a good handle on reloading your brass. While I also have a mini-lathe and a powered universal case trimmer, I have come up with a quick way of cutting off larger amounts of brass.....I got a Harbor Freight mini-cut off saw, around $25.00. You can make a jig to put the case in and adjust that to be close to the desired length. Literally a couple of seconds to cut the brass off, finish to exact length with the case trimmer. You could finish off a hundred cases in 10-15 minutes, or less. I was making 43 Mauser brass from 45-90 and 300 Win. Mag brass, had to cut off nearly  1/4". Using the universal case trimmer, it was taking a couple of minutes per case. Using the cut off saw.....2 seconds! Jig made from a scrap piece of wood drilled for close fit, clamped in place.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2014, 04:12:26 AM »
I almost had to do that, had a bud  that sent me some .32 longs, but lo and behold, on gunbroker i won an auction for 200 .32 S & W starline new brass.  The ones I ordered from Buffalo, they are still on backorder.  It's been over 2 months
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »
I almost had to do that, had a bud  that sent me some .32 longs, but lo and behold, on gunbroker i won an auction for 200 .32 S & W starline new brass.  The ones I ordered from Buffalo, they are still on backorder.  It's been over 2 months
Don't hold your breath, Dave.