1858banner

Author Topic: How did you get here?  (Read 98 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
How did you get here?
« on: July 20, 2021, 09:01:57 AM »
"And you may ask yourself, well; how did I get here?"-Talking Heads

How DID you get here? Not Colt Country in particular, but how did you get to the world of Black Powder?
Movies, books, friends, family? Curiosity? Some heard the sirens' beckoning early on (like me), yet others are just discovering it. Share your stories! *?.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
  • Head Janitor, Floor Sweeper
    • View Profile
Re: How did you get here?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 09:23:59 AM »
That's a great question Capt.

I got to BP from a girlfriend's father, back when I was in high school. He showed me his Ruger Old Army and then took me out in the backyard and fired the thing. I was hooked!! That was around 1980-ish I guess.

As to how I got here, as in Colt Country, I have Jim (sourdough) to thank for that. I hung around at THR and became frustrated with it. Jim sensed my frustration, and invited me to have a look here. I signed up, loved the great sense of community here, and never looked back. The rest as they say, is history.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 09:56:56 AM »
I have always had an interest in guns. I was curious about muzzleloading and heard of a "class in building a ML rifle" at the Vocational School, so signed on the next opening. The guys in the class were interesting, wanted to start a local club, and the trap was set. I started out with the long rifle I built, then got a '58 Remmie and the rest is all downhill! I started casting, reloading, collecting. I was very active early on at the Muzzleloading forum for a time, I think my membership number was 158 or there about. One day I got an email from a guy saying I might fit in well here, so I joined up. So....it is all Kirk's fault L@. That's my story and I am sticking with it.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 10:16:29 AM »
I was 12 years old and had saved my grass cutting money to buy a new .22 revolver to replace the one I'd worn out. I got my mom to take me to the gun store and I spotted an 1858 Remington and just had to have it. I gave 60 bucks for it, a pound of Powder, a tin of caps and a round ball mold. I bought a flintlock long rifle the following year but I never could make it work right so I traded it off. I kinda got out of it for awhile in 72 but in 1980 I bought an Investarms Hawken and a repro .577 Enfield and it's been downhill ever since. I came here from the 58 forum.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 11:55:06 AM »
That's a great question Capt.

I got to BP from a girlfriend's father, back when I was in high school. He showed me his Ruger Old Army and then took me out in the backyard and fired the thing. I was hooked!! That was around 1980-ish I guess.

As to how I got here, as in Colt Country, I have Jim (sourdough) to thank for that. I hung around at THR and became frustrated with it. Jim sensed my frustration, and invited me to have a look here. I signed up, loved the great sense of community here, and never looked back. The rest as they say, is history.

Captain Hook-ed me (7+" I was on THR for a very short time and I go back now and again and it feels distant if that makes sense? Less approachable. There were a few guys who were friendly. One in particular I email with. He's a good guy to me. think he may have an account here too.  Could just be me about THR. I still try...a little. *6' Lurking mostly. Clique?  L@J
....the Stray Cat & Sheriff, have spoken!!

Offline Zulch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 12:04:04 PM »
regarding cap n ball. To this very day I do not know why I got into this heer thang? Stupified by it? Am I in pre alzheimers or what? CRS? I wish the hell I could remember why and how I wanted to buy a CnB revolver? I always liked Clint Eastwood in them thar westerns and that bad-XXX Walker HAND CANNON it is. he b totin in that thar Josey Wales role. Dirty Harry? HAIL YEAH??!! i haven't even watched one of those movies in 5 years or more?
 maybe our current state of affairs here in this country was partly the reason but I have cartridge pistols? I'm open guys? One of you fellas tell me what happened and I'll live withit>  f(*& talk about memory loss?!! I ain't worth killin. (7& what provoked me to git inta this heer thang? the wind blowin cross the prairie? aint no prairee n these nekka the woods. somebody put me out me mizree (@+ (?? (7&

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 02:40:56 PM »
The realization that I could order a gun online and have it shipped to the house with no "paperwork" got me started. That was almost 20 years ago. I only have 2 percussion revolvers......but get to play with lots of them at the gun/smoke shop.

My good friend Gary Rowe keeps my interest peaked.....he's got several hundred the last time he tried to count, including more than a dozen 5 gallon buckets of bits and pieces. He's super picky about "historical accuracy", so each of his guns get reworked to match original shape and size as close as possible. He's worked on several older civil war movies and has every accoutrement imaginable...... including McClellan saddles that he made because no one was making anything accurate enough to the originals. Unfortunately his health is not good....so I take every advantage to spend time with him.

Here's Gary during one of his tirades about inaccuracies in Pietta and Uberti reproductions.....he's an ASM guy through and through....

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 02:48:06 PM by Miguel Loco »
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 03:54:01 PM »
The realization that I could order a gun online and have it shipped to the house with no "paperwork" got me started. That was almost 20 years ago. I only have 2 percussion revolvers......but get to play with lots of them at the gun/smoke shop.

My good friend Gary Rowe keeps my interest peaked.....he's got several hundred the last time he tried to count, including more than a dozen 5 gallon buckets of bits and pieces. He's super picky about "historical accuracy", so each of his guns get reworked to match original shape and size as close as possible. He's worked on several older civil war movies and has every accoutrement imaginable...... including McClellan saddles that he made because no one was making anything accurate enough to the originals. Unfortunately his health is not good....so I take every advantage to spend time with him.

Here's Gary during one of his tirades about inaccuracies in Pietta and Uberti reproductions.....he's an ASM guy through and through....
Miguel,   Man that is so nice to know someone like him. I have an older friend myself that I spend time with. These cats are cool. Most of them so eager to share their knowledge. They know. They been there. I like ol guys. God bless them. Thank you for sharing Loco. You rock too. I don't have a San Marco but I have heard good things about them. I hope to own one someday. An 1851 or 1861 would be great . Shoot...any of em would be great. I found where one or a few of Clint Eastwood' motion picture guns from Josey I believe were auctioned off. Of course for high plains expensive but you all probably knew this when the auction happened. My question would be. I did not recognize the brand but I think it had something about Texasengraved on the cylinder? Educate a newbie someone. Thanks Loco. Tim (7&
Tim

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 03:40:23 PM »
Been into firearms of all types for as long as I can remember everything from  flintlocks to full auto they are all fun. Found the 58 Remington  forum awhile back then naturally signed up here.