colt banner

Author Topic: Basic Pan Lube For Bullets  (Read 3904 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Basic Pan Lube For Bullets
« on: January 25, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »
Here is a simple method that I have been using to lube my black powder cartridge bullets for many years. It is very simple, effective, and cheap. Perhaps the only draw back is the extra steps involved over using a lubrisizer.

Note that a lot of previous steps have already been completed prior to what is about to be shown. For instance, I have already made up my own mixture of lube, acquired the desired Teflon coated baking pan, and added the desired amount of lube to the pan so that the level will come up just past the foremost lube groove of the particular bullet that I have selected. To accomplish the disired lube level, I set the chosen bullets upright in an empty pan, spaced them out in the same pattern that you can see in the first pic, and I then placed the pan and bullets on the stove burner set on low temp and started scooping bulk lube from a storage jar into the pan and letting it melt. I kept this procedure up until I had added enough lube to bring the level up past all of the lube grooves while leaving most of the bullet nose exposed above the lube. To make thing easier for me, I now have multiple Teflon pans with differing levels of lube in each one for the different calibers and bullet lengths that I shoot. Each pan is now stored away when not in use, and each time that I want to lube new bullets, I can select the right pan, put bullets in the existing holes and go to town with the process. As the lube level gets depleted from use, I can add more lube from my storage jars to bring the level back up.

Assuming that you have already accomplished the tasks covered in the previous paragraph, you will find that the easiest way to remelt your lube is to place the pan with lube disk on the stove with bullets already placed in the existing holes left behind from the last time that you lubed up a batch. Only turn the stove up to the lowest setting. You do not want to get your lube hot enough to start smoking, just hot enough to fully melt. If it gets to hot and starts smoking, you will sacrifice some of the lubricating qualities of your mixture. In this photo, I have already melted the lube on the stove with the bullets in place and then shut it off and walked away. I found something else to do while the lube cooled and became a solid again. It is still quite warm at this point but I can now pick the pan up without the lube running to one side or the other. I am now going to expose the whole pan to the cold. The freezer works perfect. In this case, since it is winter, I set the pan out on a snowbank in the yard. What I want to happen is for the lube to get cold and shrink away from the edge of the pan.

The pan set outside for about 15 minutes. It will take around the same length of time in the freezer. The lube has now gotten cold and contracted away from the side walls of the pan and it will now be very easy to remove the lube disk with bullets intact from the pan. You can see the gap between the pan wall and the edge of the lube. However, it is still stuck to the bottom of the pan and will not fall out on its own without a bit of help.

Right after removing the pan from the cold once it has constricted, place a towel on a counter or bench to protect the noses of your bullets and then turn the pan upside down and level above the towel about six inches or so. Then just drop the whole mess onto the towel. The impact will break the contact of the cold lube from the bottom portion of the pan. You can then just lift the pan free from the lube and bullets. The bullets will remain in place just as the were before you dropped the pan.

Now once again, go find something else to do for a bit. You are going to want the lube to warm back up somewhere around room temp so that is will expand back into the grooves. Also, once it is warmed up, the lube will not try to pull out of the grooves when you push the bullets out. If you are lucky like me, you will have an over critical helper cat that inspects each and every thing you do to ensure that you are doing it the right way.

Once the lube disk and bullets have been removed from the pan, you can pick up the whole array just like an oversized cookie. Here, I am showing the thickness of the lube in relation to the bullets. You can see that I have a generous amount of the noses exposed, yet the lube grooves are completely covered. This will help when pushing the bullets out.

Now it is just a matter of supporting the bottom of the lube disk with you fingers and using your thumb to push the bullets, base first, out the bottom of the disk. Were I not taking this pic, I would be supporting the disk with the fingers of both hands and holding the disk just above the towel, that way the bullets do not have far to fall and land on a soft surface. Both hand also support the disk well enough to keep from cracking in half as there is a lot of weight with that much lead resting in the lube.

This pic is just to add in a little handy tip. Sometimes, the lube will start to pull away from the top portion of each lube groove when you push it out, especially if the lube and bullets is still a bit cold. So when the nose becomes flush with the surface of the lube, I will push it back up from the base into the hole just like it was originally. Then I will push the bullet down a second time and let it fall completely from the disk onto the towel. The extra step has a way of packing the lube more fully and completely into the grooves by friction from working it both back and forth.

Here are the first two fully lubed bullets from the disk. I did in fact work all them back and forth in the hole one time because the lube was still a bit cool. I could have waited for a bit and let the lube get closer to room temperature and would not have had to complete the extra step, but we are just talking a small amount of extra time to work the bullets back and forth in the cool lube ring VS waiting on the lube to become fully warm.

You can pop all of the bullets out of the lube disk in about a minute.

And as you can see, once you place the disk back in the pan, you will have existing holes in which you can place the next batch of bullets into and start the melting and cooling process all over.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:07:48 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Pan Lube For Bullets
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 12:25:14 PM »
Now THAT my friends is the way to pan lube. However you do need the watchful eye of the furry long tailed attendant to prevent accidents and insure quality.  :-*

This should be a sticky.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
Thanks Hawg!

And yes sir, the tabby long tailed attendent does help on both spectrums that you have mentioned ;D

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:07:31 PM »
Now THAT my friends is the way to pan lube. However you do need the watchful eye of the furry long tailed attendant to prevent accidents and insure quality.  :-*

This should be a sticky.

It is now.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 07:01:25 AM »
Scooby, thanks for those tips! I have been pan lubricating for a while, but you have increased my knowledge a bunch. I never thought about pushing the bullets back and forth to pack the lube grooves. Guess I need to get a couple of Teflon covered pans dedicated to pan lubing!

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:06 AM »
I uses piece of a old golf club shaft, I found a spot where the ID was just a tick over .458 I use this on my 45-70 bullets the tool hold maybe 15  before they start to pop out the end, I kept the handle on the tool so I have a good grip to push it over the bullet in the pan. This seems to pack the lube grooves well.

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
Scooby;
I have ben followiing your posts, and watching how you do things, for some time now. You're pretty good at what you do...

I think your presence on this forum is immensely helpful, to even the most experienced of the shooters.

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 03:21:35 PM »
Scooby, is your bullet lube formula proprietary to you, or would you be willing to share what the constituents are, and in what quantities you use of  them in your mixture?

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:59 PM »
Bill, I think he did somewhere on this board. If I recall, it was just a modified Emmert's lube.

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,195.0.html

Some folks like to add Lanolin. It works quite well for me just as-is.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"