1858banner

Author Topic: Uberti Leech & Rigdon  (Read 3922 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Uberti Leech & Rigdon
« on: October 26, 2013, 05:22:30 PM »
A most recent addition to my small CSA collection of reproductions. Date coded 2009, this particular revolver came with the naval roll engraved cylinder, so I removed it to look more like an original. Of course, I then had to redo the bbl. to make it match. As well, the grip has been stripped and I am applying a hand rubbed finish. This is a very nicely built and feeling revolver.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Uberti Leech & Rigdon
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
Once again a nice set of pics.  Glad to see you put the blank cylinder on it.  The engraved one jsut isn't right.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »
Thanks mike. Regarding the cylinder, I actually removed the factory engraving on the original.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 07:15:07 PM »
How much did you have to remove?  Did you measure before & after?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:25:19 PM »
And what did you use to remove it?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:33:56 PM »
I would honk you could use a long bolt a few washers couple of nuts then chuck it up in a drill press , then 240 to 600 wet and dry probably just a couple of thousands deep.
Maybe the flexible files sold by Sally's beauty supplies would work.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:37:19 PM by Tom-ADC »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:59:11 PM »
Did just what Tom said about the bolt, washers, and a nut to lock the cylinder snug. Used a large file wrapped in buckskin along with 320 paper while the cylinder/bolt was chucked in the press. I then hand finished it with 400 paper. For cold bluing, I have found metal taken no finer than 400 to take the blue better than a finer polish. This makes for the 3RD cylinder so far that I have done in this matter. It is a stiraight forward and simple task. Also, I did no measuring before or aft, but  it only amounts to a few thousands.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:45:57 AM by scooby »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »
I have performed the same procedure on several cylinders I have mirror polished.  Reason I ask is I had to take one down about 10 thousands to remove some deep scratches.  Once I was finished the smaller diameter of the cylinder was very noticable along the edge of the frame.  Enough for me to get another cylinder and start over.  Maybe I was just being picky but I thought the gun I did it to looked "worked on".   
The job you did looks great in the pics.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:58:19 AM by mike116 »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 09:59:10 AM »
I am always ok with someone being picky and see nothing wrong with you not being happy with that particular cylinder. I am picky myself. I had actually left behind a faint ridge on this cylinder after removing the engraving. It was right along the area between where the engraving was and the original blank portion. I could not see it when the metal was bare. Upon bluing it, I then could see it, so I started over, removed the ridge by hand, and now have a totally smooth transition.

That is one good thing about working with rounded surfaces, it is easy to feather everything together so that the naked eye does not notice. I have removed many proof marks off Italian percussion cylinders and stamping from round profiled 1860 bbls., and I nor anyone else can ever tell where the stamping was, or that the metal surface has been altered.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 05:44:45 AM »
Nice work there scooby!  ;)