colt banner

Author Topic: A Turkey  (Read 1785 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Turkey
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
Taken Tuesday morning 5-6-14 right after daylight. This one snuck in quiet to the call with out making a sound. I used an old box call and a three piece wing bone mouth call that I made to yelp a few time after I heard a single gobble from the roost at daylight and closed the gap to withind 75 yards.

Taken with an old H & R 12 guage that I refurbished into a user. I took the bird with a load of black powder and 1 1/2 ounces of shot stuffed in a brass hull.

It was a grand morning!!!! I love spring time, and hunting turkeys once in a while!!!!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: A Turkey
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »
Hi scooby, congratulations on harvesting a very nice looking turkey.

I tend on avoiding hunting spring turkey. My rural area draws idiots from our nearest local city hunting spring turkey. Since sitting and calling turkey draws those idiots like flies, it's too dangerous for me. I have had a few of them come within 6ft of me where if I made a sound, they would shoot me.  (jh

I much prefer fall turkey hunting where I can just creep up and jump the flock.

BTW, I have a hen on her eggs just outside my back yard. She has been a lot of fun to watch when feeding.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 12:35:45 PM »
Nice gobbler, Scoob. Nice job on the ol' H&R as well. I love your approach to using BP in it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »
Nice job, both on the calling, and the shooting. We have turkey's walking through our yard all the time; I keep forgetting to apply for a license, have to do that in late fall for the following year. If I had 15 more acres, I could hunt turkey's without a license. :'(

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:23:21 AM »
Thanks boys!!! It is good to hear from others with some interest in the grnd birds.

Well Richard, I can understand your issues for not wanting to call them in the spring due to ignorant dolts being out in the woods as well. Good thing for me is that this country is big and sparsley populated, so one can be in the woods for days and days and never experience encroachment from other turkey hunters.

I like a good fall hunt myself and have taken several birds with flintlocks by stalking, flock jumping, and ambushing. Turkey hunting is filled with more fun and excitement than deer hunting for the most part and they are a very worthy game bird.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:45:48 AM by scooby »