colt banner

Author Topic: A Second Gobbler  (Read 2324 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Second Gobbler
« on: May 17, 2014, 07:17:01 AM »
I got lucky on another tom on the 14TH. I called this bird in to 12 yards and busted him with my old original Belgian percussion double 16 guage. This is the first game taken with the shotgun and completes a quest to kill a tom with each of the four original shotguns that I own. I was awfull excited to get this bird with this shotgun. It was a fulfilling endeavor the way things worked out this spring between the old H & R, this old Belgian double, and taking two birds with black powder.

I had the same fortune of taking two late fall/early winter birds a couple of years ago with two different smoothbore flintlocks and period dress and accoutrements.

Here are three pics of the gobbler taken with the percussion double.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: A Second Gobbler
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:29:13 AM »
Great pics Scooby. 
Congrats on completing the quest with all four shotguns.   Looking at the old SxS makes me want to find one and maybe become a shot gunner in my old age.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »
Scoob, not only is that a gorgeous bird in it's own right, but I am IN LOVE with that shotty! Congrats on your 'grand slam' of shotgun kills and thanks for sharing! It takes a special talent and patience to call in a nice tom like that and it shows that you have it in spades! Someday I'd like to do the turkey dance. My buddy Steve does every year and has invited me along several times in the past. Maybe I'll take him up on it next season.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline hiker.wild

• just do it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »
nice picts..what are your loads made up of..? 1f-2f ?    what size of shot ?    and do you use some sort of wadding ?
fieldlines.com

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 05:55:11 AM »
nice picts..what are your loads made up of..? 1f-2f ?    what size of shot ?    and do you use some sort of wadding ?

Sorry about the late reply. I have been gone from home for a bit.

Loads are made up of 2F goex, size of shot is #4 and I use the Circle Fly fiber wads both above the powder and over the shot.

Offline hiker.wild

• just do it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »
thanks scooby..
always wanted a bp shotgun..seen a few in a local gunshop here..just didnt know for sure how to load em up.....
fieldlines.com

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
You bet hiker.wild!!!!!

They are really pretty straight forward and after a few trial runs, a feller has them pretty well figured out. Ol Track Of The Wolf keeps a good stock of various types and sizes of wads on hand.