colt banner

Author Topic: 1911 Copy  (Read 6561 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: 1911 Copy
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »
OK Hawg,  I stand corrected.  Extractor not ejector.   

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 04:20:39 AM »
...I have fired a few auto loaders but have never had any brass down my shirt.  ...

They only time I have experienced this is when firing the P08.  It ejects brass straight up and a little back.  Makes for a lively dance!

Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 05:00:08 AM »
...I have fired a few auto loaders but have never had any brass down my shirt.  ...

They only time I have experienced this is when firing the P08.  It ejects brass straight up and a little back.  Makes for a lively dance!

Since the mechanism is an "extractor" not an "ejector" then the P08 must extract the brass straight up and a little back.  Unless of course only a 1911 has an extractor and all others have ejectors.  Maybe Hawg will clear that up.
Anyway it must distract your attention for the next shot a little.

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
an extractr is the claw that pulls the case out of chamber, the ejecter is the post the case hits to be thrown from the extracter/gun.  mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 06:07:37 AM »
an extractr is the claw that pulls the case out of chamber, the ejecter is the post the case hits to be thrown from the extracter/gun.  mark

Yes but it's a little more to it than that. Proper extractor tension is essential for reliable feeding and ejection. Ejectors can be tuned somewhat to help with ejection but you can fiddle with the ejector all day long and if the extractor isn't right it never will work right. You can do a google search on tuning 1911 extractors and find a wealth of information on it and how to do it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »
he didnt seem to know the difference, i was just explaining that.    mark

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »
I was just making a joke.  Wasn't looking to turn this into an auto loader gunsmithing thread just pokin some fun at Hawg and Straw Hat.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
I was just making a joke.  Wasn't looking to turn this into an auto loader gunsmithing thread just pokin some fun at Hawg and Straw Hat.

:P
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 06:05:54 PM »
sorry f(*&    mark

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »

I enjoyed it!

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »
...You can do a google search on tuning 1911 extractors and find a wealth of information on it and how to do it...

Thank you, I was wondering what to do.  I am so new to 1911s that I am happy just being able to load a magazine and get it to shoot.

The other day, I managed to shoot the thing on the end of the recoil spring the lentgh of our house.  Herself was not amused!

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
The other day, I managed to shoot the thing on the end of the recoil spring the lentgh of our house.  Herself was not amused!

We've all done that. Its the recoil spring plug btw. Here's a pretty good vid of how everything fits together with the names of all the parts plus a slow motion vid of how it all works. Ignore the false info on Moros at the end.  ::) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnVyx3C6y48