colt banner

Author Topic: My Schneider & Glassick  (Read 1662 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My Schneider & Glassick
« on: June 11, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
This one started out as the common brass framed "Reb" revolver with the Naval engraved Ormsby scene on the cylinder. My buddy bought it used at a mom and pop gun shop about 10 years ago. Well, after getting my New Griswold & Gunnison a couple years back, I got interested in the CSA revolvers and read up on the Schneider & Glassick. Soon afterwards, I got to wanting one and I knew just where a candidate was at.

So the first thing that I did was remove the cylinder roll engraving with some hillbilly ingenuity and then draw filed all of the Italian stamping from the frame and barrel. Then a bit of cold bluing, and I had me a replica similar to the original.

I now have three brass framed revolvers, this one, which is made by ASM, a Pietta Spiller & Burr, and a Pietta Griswold & Gunnison. This ASM is super smooth and shoots good. I put 30 rounds through it today shooting at steel gongs. Although I am partial to my Griswold & Gunnison, this one warrents a soft spot among my revolvers. Oh ya, by the way, during those 30 rounds, I had not a single cap jam nor miss fire. That does not happen on every outing with an open top design, but a lot more often then the nay sayers would ever let on.

I use this same rig for all 4 of my current CSA revolvers.

I still need to get around to refinishing the grips.

I like these shooters when they are dirty!!!

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My Schneider & Glassick
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 04:28:57 AM »
Looks good.  I usually burnish out the marks when I need to remove them.  Only file when absolutely necessary.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: My Schneider & Glassick
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:33:30 PM »
Scooby, as usual, I am impressed as all get-out at your attention to detail and your abilities to take a plain Jane "throwaway" brasser and turn it into a collectible. Great minds think alike, I guess. )l_
And then you (as usual) take a bunch of stunning photos of it to top it off!
I like this line of thinking.....if you can't find a gun you want, make one out of something else. Essentally, that's what the Rebs were doing back in the day when these things were created; reverse-engineered guns made out of an available resource (brass).
As usual, hats off to you for a superb job on both guns, and photos! :-*
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"