colt banner

Author Topic: Last Horn  (Read 2100 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Last Horn
« on: February 25, 2015, 08:42:47 PM »
As it stands, I do not plan to make another one of these. But if I change my mind, which I have often been known to do, our own forum member Mike will be the next recipient. He was the first one to request one about the time that I figured I was done with this venture. Many have asked since, but when a craftsman looses the inspiration, it is time to hang it up, because quality and attention to detail will suffer.

I have made up and scrimmed quite a few of these horns. I have made up a lot more un-scrimmed ones. At one time, I thought of making a go of it, but the spark to continue faded out. Some of the loss of interest comes from old and worn out joints in my hands and fingers. Too many years on the stump with a power saw I guess. I simply hurts by the time I am finished making one now. The remaining loss of interest comes from burn out I guess. I knew it was an issue when I had to prod myself to get started on the next one.

Anyway, here are some pics. It is a nicely curved horn and lays in the short ribs nice and tight. The texture and color was not the best for scrim work, but I worked around that issue. Comparing it to some of my earlier work, I feel that I have lost some of my ability for finer detail, but overall, I was well pleased with how the scratching came out. As luck would have it, I made very few blemishes while attempting to make my scratch lines meet and blend. The exterior has a final hand scraped finish. The base plug is made from Pine, the pegs from Hawthorns, and the spout plug from Hickory. It is air tight and will surely keep the powder dry.

Hope you enjoy a bit of hand craft work from the mountains of Idaho. I was proud to make it for the man that received it.

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Last Horn
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »
Scooby,  Don't sell your self short.   I have seen other pics of this horn and the detail and quality is every bit as fine as anything else you have done.   I know that the man you made it for is deeply appreciative.   I watched on the other forum as you posted progress as you worked on it. 

It is simply amazing.

I would be honored to own one of your powder horns or anything else made by your hands,  but I know from personal experience that when the motivation isn't there the project just becomes work.  For that reason I am honored to have just made the list of people you considered making a horn for and we can leave it at that.

Rest assured that the final one you produced was a masterpiece.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Last Horn
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:37:44 AM »
Very nice work there scooby!  L@.