colt banner

Author Topic: Replace blade sight?  (Read 8289 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Replace blade sight?
« on: September 19, 2016, 05:05:51 AM »
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on how to replace a front blade sight.

I have a Pietta 1862 with a blade sight that leans right causing windage error. The blade was carelessly staked on and leans. I would like to replace that sight with a taller blade, but not sure on an appropriate technique for attachment. I could do a dovetail, but that would leave an ugly longitudinal blade slot hole. I don't have the skill or tools to stake the replacement sight. I could see using soft solder to attach a new blade sight, but wouldn't that hurt the bluing? I wonder if JB Weld is strong enough to hold the blade sight?

Are there any other ideas on how to attach a blade sight to the barrel?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Replace blade sight?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 06:34:58 AM »
Hi, nobody is able to help me with this sight issue? I can't believe that I am the first person to need to do this.

Oh well, I almost resigned myself to doing a dovetail. Removed the loading lever post and got out the dovetail tools. However, removing the leaning front sight showed another option. This is the front of the barrel with the sight removed laying next to it:

Removing the sight shows that the slot in the barrel isn't a simple linear slot, but rather cut with a radius. You can easily see that radius on the image of the sight bottom. There is a lot of depth to securely JB Weld in a new sight. I need to clean up the staking damage at the sides of the slot, but there should be left a nice deep sight slot to epoxy in a new sight.

Comments are always appreciated.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:07:56 AM »
JB Weld should do it, I would think.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »
Never done it Richard.  But i gotta believe you are on the right track.  Like the Capt, I think JB would probably do it.  I would imagine that red loc-tite would work too. 

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »
If the new sight is a press in fit JB might work but if you can just push it in with finger pressure I doubt if it will hold. I'd use silver solder if that was the case.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:09:27 PM »
Never done it Richard.  But i gotta believe you are on the right track.  Like the Capt, I think JB would probably do it.  I would imagine that red loc-tite would work too.
Problem with LocTite is heat weakens the bond. The muzzle can get quite toasty.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:48:18 PM »
Problem with LocTite is heat weakens the bond. The muzzle can get quite toasty.

Yep and JB works best when the parts are clamped together. I glued a pair of Chevy valves together and clamped them down tight in a vise and you couldn't get them apart no matter what. Glued another set together without clamping and they seemed to be permanent but dropped them on a concrete floor and they came apart.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 08:12:30 PM »
Hi, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. The factory staking of the front sight has metal narrower at the top of the slot on the barrel ~0.005-6" compared to the width of the slit on the bottom. I'm trying to use jewelers files to remove that excess metal at the top of the slot while trying to avoid marring the bluing.

I'm beginning to think that having the bottom of the slot wider than at the top may be an advantage to provide space for the JB Weld. Maybe just a little more clean up of the barrel slot will be done. I would prefer solder, but concerned that the bluing would be damaged from the heat and solder flux.

The Pietta 1862 shoots high with the original front sight so a higher front sight is in order. Make it extra high and then file to have poi=poa.

This is treading new ground for me.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mr wack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 03:54:49 AM »
Yup jb should work , if this were mine I would be tempted to find me a old Dime ( silver ) and whittle that down to fit or a copper penny.
I think they look  8)
Everybody's got something to hide sept for me and my Monkey,,,,,,, j w lennon.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 04:30:13 AM »
Hi mr wack, a coin would look cool, but the barrel sight slot is pretty wide, 0.1185" (3mm) where a coin is too thin and would look kludgy in such a wide slot. I ordered some 1/8" thick brass to fashion a new sight. Maybe even have the blade sight overhang the ends of the slot for a clean look.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mr wack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 08:01:57 AM »
I made a front blade out of an old brass key I found metal detecting one day in my back field, already antiqued  L@J lol.
Couldn't find object or lock I went to,,,,,,  (K|

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »
Probably buried in the vicinity as well...a pirate's treasure chest with 5 million in Spanish doubloons...but sadly, no key. (7+"

Offline mr wack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 10:46:18 AM »
Probably buried in the vicinity as well...a pirate's treasure chest with 5 million in Spanish doubloons...but sadly, no key. (7+"

Ahh !, but I do have the key it's on the front of my Navy ,,,,,,,,,, (@+,,,,,,, *6'

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 11:55:27 AM »
Hi mr wack, you gave me the idea of using a machinery key, but I couldn't find an appropriately sized key. How did you attach your key to the barrel?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
I'd like to see how this plays out. I got one that needs the front site changed out.