colt banner

Author Topic: EMF Paterson on sale  (Read 23095 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
Re: EMF Paterson on sale
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2019, 02:42:30 PM »
While the Paterson has issues, it returns me to a time when the Comanche faced the Paterson. It's hard to tell you how I return to that time and take out Comanches on my steel targets. You probably have no idea of what I am talking about? That's Okay.

Regards,
Richard

I think I know. While I've not had the opportunity to shoot it yet, Every time I cycle the action on my Winchester '66 I am transported back to overturned wagons, fending off waves of incoming charging savages on pinto war ponies.
Some book or film must be buried deep in my subconscious. (@+

Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one...........
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2019, 07:07:17 AM »
Hi, this is a photo of an 1851 barrel on the left and the Paterson barrel on the right:

Both barrels were aligned to have the ends of the barrel (forcing cone) aligned. Notice that the arbor hole for the 1851 is set back from the barrel end a much larger distance than the Paterson. Also notice that the end of the 1851 barrel that is against the cylinder chamber is much smaller than the Paterson barrel. No wonder why the Paterson is more prone to fouling compared the the 1851.

Measurements shows that the arbor and arbor hole diameter for both the 1851 and Paterson is the same. Using a hole gauge showed that the arbor hole in Paterson is the same diameter from hole entrance to hole bottom. There is a slight narrowing of the hole at the ends of the wedge opening in the Paterson barrel. As the recoil deformed the wedge, it also deforms the barrel metal at the wedge opening. When I get the reamer, the reamer should be able to make the whole length of the Paterson arbor hole uniform.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 04:22:30 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2019, 11:58:17 AM »
Hi, this is a photo of an 1851 barrel on the left and the Paterson barrel on the right:

Both barrels were aligned to have the ends of the barrel (forcing cone) aligned. Notice that the arbor hole for the 1851 is set back from the barrel end a much larger distance than the Paterson. Also notice that the end of the 1851 barrel that is against the cylinder chamber is much smaller than the Paterson barrel. No wonder why the Paterson is more prone to fouling compared the the 1851.

Measurements shows that the arbor and arbor hole diameter for both the 1851 and Paterson is the same. Using a hole gauge showed that the arbor hole in Paterson is the same diameter from hole entrance to hole bottom. There is a slight narrowing of the hole at the ends of the wedge opening in the Paterson barrel. As the recoil deformed the wedge, it also deforms the barrel metal at the wedge opening. When I get the reamer, the reamer should be able to make the whole length of the Paterson arbor hole uniform.

Regards,
Richard
  A picture speaks a thousand words. It looks like Sam Colt learned what not to do from the Patterson. Hope you come up with a fix.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2019, 12:42:04 PM »
Looks like the forcing cone serves more than one purpose... ;)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2019, 05:33:56 PM »
Looking at that (an eye-opener to me), maybe there is not a "fix". I think Colt got it right with the 1848 Dragoon (the Walker not withstanding) and went from there. Even the 1848 Pocket went through a few transformations (frame length, forcing cone length, trigger guard, et al) before becoming the 1849 Pocket, the most produced Colt pistol of the percussion era, and the ACW had nothing to do with that.

Regards,

Jim

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2019, 03:44:25 AM »
Hi, the battering of the wedge on front edge is due to the coining of the wedge by the front of the arbor slot. The force trying to separate the barrel from the frame is the reason for the coining. Most of the deformation on the wedge is on the smaller area of the arbor. That would be expected. In the past we have discussed hardening the wedge to minimize coining. Even tried to harden the wedge. Franky, I would rather have the low cost replaceable wedge deform than have the more expensive barrel wedge opening deform. Hammering it back into shape does work harden the wedge a bit.

My theory on why I see more wedge deformation in the Paterson compared to the other Colt models is that the larger surface area of the Paterson barrel end against the cylinder produces more barrel separation force due to gas pressure on firing than other Colt models.

On another subject, Uberti has a nice shiny Paterson grip finish, the Pietta is dull. While I have may Paterson apart I intend on Tung Oil refinishing the grip.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2019, 09:57:16 AM »
Hi, the used eBay 0.434" solid carbide ream arrived today. The ream was chucked up in a drill chuck, cutting oil put on the ream, and hand rotated into the barrel arbor hole. Very little metal was removed, just the oil on the ream black from sub thousandths metal removed. The arbor now slips into the barrel arbor hole as slick as can be.

One lube I haven't yet tried in the Paterson is KY Jelly.  L@J L@J

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »
You should have thought of K-Y BEFORE you reamed the hole................. ;)
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2019, 03:53:20 AM »
Hi, one of my Paterson's grips was given four coats of Tung Oil, rubbed with steel wool between coats. I think the grips came out nicely:

Now back to shooting it.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 04:57:07 AM by ssb73q »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2019, 05:05:42 AM »
Now those Pietta grips look like they came from an Uberti revolver.      I've always preferred the look of Uberti grips.     Looking good Richard.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 06, 2019, 08:29:30 AM »
I have to concur with Mike. Those grips look much nicer. Well done.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »
Much better look, Richard! Kudos to you.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2019, 10:34:20 AM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the kind comments. I took my living room display Paterson to do some work on it. After you do one gunsmithing job on a particular revolver, it's easy to repeat it. In less than 1/2 hour I had the arbor drilled and tapped for a arbor length set screw. I also checked if the 0.434 reamer for the barrel arbor hole would be helpful to this Paterson. The reamer fell right in. It seems that my newer (only 100 serial numbers higher) Paterson has a larger barrel arbor hole than the barrel arbor hole already reamed. So much for Pietta quality control.

I think that the fouling binding up of the Paterson is baked into the design of the Paterson. As Mike and scooby have previously said " the Paterson is what it is". Sometime one needs to live with design idiosyncrasies.

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2019, 12:20:26 PM »
I also checked if the 0.434 reamer for the barrel arbor hole would be helpful to this Paterson. The reamer fell right in. It seems that my newer (only 100 serial numbers higher) Paterson has a larger barrel arbor hole than the barrel arbor hole already reamed. So much for Pietta quality control.

I would be curious to know the various manufacture date codes on your Pietta Patersons. Pietta commenced using CNC machining ~2000, so anything older than that compared to a CNC gun is like comparing a Baldwin apple to a Granny Smith apple.

Regards,

Jim

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2019, 12:26:18 PM »
Jim, can't speak for Richard but pretty sure both were purchased new within the past 2 years.