colt banner

Author Topic: Gifted some new blades  (Read 2720 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gifted some new blades
« on: February 17, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »
The old friend that I moved onto my homestead last year passed the last long winter months by making up some knives. He has made up a ton of them over the years. Many of them were hand forged blades. All of the handles, bolsters, and end caps have been hand made and fitted. I have a lot of his knives on hand. His best work slipped by me several years ago when I was not paying attention and had the chance to grab them up. They were sold at a muzzleloader gun show.

Anyway, he handed me these three pieces tonight. He said to put them to use on my future belt rigs, or toss them out in the yard and let my dog chew on them  (7+"

The top knife has a hand forged blade. It is likely to be his last one. All of his forge equipment has since been handed down to me and he wants me to carry on the tradition. I intend to honor his request. He will tutor me on the skill of forging in the near future. The handle is Red Oak with a slow oil finish and the bolster and end cap are made from Rocky Mnt. Sheep horn.

The second knife has a vendor purchaced Damascus blade blank. He made the brass bolster and Red Oak handle with the same  oil finish applied. It does not have an end cap. The cutting edge still need thinned and sharpened and he has passed that task on to me.

The third knife is also a Damascus blank, but he did finish out the cutting edge. He put an Elk anter handle on it and a brass bolster and end cap. He says he is too old to make any more Damascus blades himself, so he does not mind buying the blanks made by younger hands. I do in fact have the last Damascus blade that he forged in my possession.

Anyway, I am feeling mighty lucky tonight. I have always relished hand made items. There is a quality to be had by such items that cannot be found in the mass produced market. When you have a hand made item, you know full well that it is one of a kind. This country needs more artisans that make things with true grit.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:28:44 PM by scooby »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Gifted some new blades
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
When someone gives you a hand made gift like that Scooby they are giving more than just the object.   You also get a little piece of the maker himself.   These are the things you keep to pass down to your kids and hope they do the same.   

If you throw any of them out to the dogs I'm coming up there to take all your stuff away from you.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »
Steve, good on ya for getting into blacksmithing. I'm sure your bladesmith friend is more accomplished than me, but if you ever need any "2nd opinion", in smithing, I'm your man. I've been a hawk guy for a number of years and made myself a power hammer to expedite the heavy stuff.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:17:01 PM by sltm1 »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:44:58 PM »
Right you are Mike. That is the point I was trying to express when I got the Walker rig from you. No one can take that away from me. It has meaning far and beyond what I make for myself. That rig will stay in the bloodline and my son already knows the significance of it and will lay claim on it upon my passing. I had you make me that rig strickly for the makers mark. Your name is forever stamped into the leather. I knew it would be special when I recieved it and that it will always be so.

I have a holster here made by Frank Costanza from Stevensville, Montana. Resting in it is a Tucker & Sherrard Uberti Replica. I bought both item as a set for a fair price. Now mind you, I feel mighty proud to own a Tucker & Sherrard revolver, but that holster means even more to me. He is now passed, but I carry on a little bit of his work. I would give the revolver away long before I would give up the holster. I have seen what his holsters sell for now, but it means little to me. The value that I recieve every time I look at his leather piece can not be bought at any price. 

If you come my way to take all of my stuff, bring your horse trailer. My son will do his best to pass on what I have done with my life, but he would welcome some help from you. He does not need all of this stuff that I have accrued over the years (7+"

By the way, I have been thinking some about the conversation we had some time back about a scrimmed horn. I feel compelled to go forth with one last venture. I have a horn that was given to me recently, and it does have some potential. I wont know for sure until I put a rasp to it. If I decide to throw a rope around the neck of this one, I am going to let you know. If so, we can then talk about a theme that would suit your fancy. Currently, I question the ability of my hands, wrists, and eyes compared to my past abilities, but I know that if I do take the task on, it will get full attention to detail and not lack quality.

Untill then my fine friend.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:48:47 PM »
Steve, good on ya for getting into blacksmithing. I'm sure your bladesmith friend is more accomplished than me, but if you ever need any "2nd opinion", in smithing, I'm your man. I've been a hawk guy for a number of years and made myself a power hammer to expedite the heavy stuff.

Thanks Roland, Don't know of a better man than yourself to help me out. I take your offer with full respect and appreciation. Damn it is good to be accompanied by good men.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:16:38 AM »
Nice knives. I like knives probably more than guns

There is an old tradition when someone gifts you a blade to give them a token coin, preferably silver, in return or "the friendship will be cut" I have always tried to follow
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »
jaxenro, that's what my grandma told me years ago !!

Hey Steve, like I said yer more than welcome, knowledge meets a dead end if it isn't shared.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »
I have a holster here made by Frank Costanza from Stevensville, Montana.

By the way, I have been thinking some about the conversation we had some time back about a scrimmed horn. I feel compelled to go forth with one last venture. I have a horn that was given to me recently, and it does have some potential. I wont know for sure until I put a rasp to it. If I decide to throw a rope around the neck of this one, I am going to let you know. If so, we can then talk about a theme that would suit your fancy. Currently, I question the ability of my hands, wrists, and eyes compared to my past abilities, but I know that if I do take the task on, it will get full attention to detail and not lack quality.

Untill then my fine friend.

Costanza is well a known and very respected maker.   You are fortunate to have one of his rigs for your Tucker. 

I am well aware of the fact horn making is not your favored activity these days,   I am speechless at the fact you would consider making another for me.   Just the  fact you are considering it is an honor in itself.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
WOW just WOW, you are indeed fortunate Scoob. I don't have a lot of custom made stuff but I have two gun rigs I will always treasure. The one you made for me and a double gun rig that was the last one made by Brazos Jack of Etowah Leather. The belt no longer fits but I use the right hand holster with my Uberti 73. I had a really nice double rig made by Brazos but gave it to my step daughter and her first no account husband pawned it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 09:51:31 PM »
Some fine stuff here, gents. Fine indeed. Not to mention some of the best men I am proud to know.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »
I have only been given two knives in my lifetime. The first was a commercial blade that was finished by a friend a couple of years before he passed away. The second is a knife made by another good friend. He forges the blade, bolster and end cap in one piece. I have a few of his knives that I bought (very reasonably) from him. We were at a rendezvous that has a raffle to fund our group activities. One of Mike's knives was on the prize blanket and I thought maybe I could add to my collection. Nope, didn't happen. Then some friends came over later for my birthday and presented me not only that knife, but a handmade sheath! Special things from special friends!