colt banner

Author Topic: Traditions Kentucky Percussion  (Read 856 times)

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
Re: Traditions Kentucky Percussion
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 02:40:36 AM »
Hawg,

Green Mountain quit making the 1:28 drop in for the Thompson Center Hawkens.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 01:34:58 PM »
Thanks, good to know.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 07:37:15 AM »
Hi, it is a nice day today and I went back to my range. However, the black flies were terrible, it would be impossible to concentrate on shooting. Guess I'm going to have to wait until early June to shoot my new rifles when the black fly season ends. Many years ago we never had black flies because of air pollution from steel mills some 50 miles away from us. Seems that black flies need clean unpolluted air and water to survive. So much for "green".

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 07:13:59 AM »
Hi, I got to shoot the Traditions Kentucky rifle yesterday. I had great hopes that the rifle had sights boresighted and tried shooting from 100yds. Missed my steel target. Examination showed that the ball hit at center, but 10-12" to the left. Sight adjustment is made by using a drift to move the rear sight in the dovetail for windage and filing the front sight down. Only windage needed adjustment.

Fired a couple dozen rounds without issue. Current accuracy is ~4-5moa, but may improve by finding the best loading. Black Mz powder was used where fouling is nonexistent. The last ball loaded as easy as the first.

While the black flies have died and gone to hell, the wet spring encouraged many nasty mosquitoes. It's hard to concentrate on accurate shooting when being buzzed by pests.

The Traditions Kentucky rifle is a very nice rifle for the price.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 12:47:22 PM »
Hi, I have a couple of Thompson Center percussion rifles (.45,.50), but never too happy with their accuracy.
http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/traditionskentuckypercussionrifle.aspx

Old South had the best price.

Regards,
Richard

My first muzzle loading rifle was a Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal. I have not shot it for a number of years until today. I was at our church range and the guys kept telling me I was "Dead Eye Dick". I was shooting a 18" plate off hand at one hundred yards. Only missed one time. (Last week I could not hit the broad side of the barn with a different gun Ha!) Guess I am lucky to have an accurate one.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »
Hey tljack,

Just what church do you belong to?
None of the churches around here have a shooting range.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »

Jeez it sucks getting old. They say the first two signs of getting old are memory loss and I forget what the other one was. *6'

I say AMEN! to that. I turned 70 the 19th of May and since that day my body hurts all over!
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning