colt banner

Author Topic: Whitney Replica?  (Read 136 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Whitney Replica?
« on: July 03, 2019, 06:01:09 AM »
Hi, anyone know why there are no Whitney revolver replicas available? I think that the Whitney revolver replica would be very popular.

The southern's equivalent Whitney is the Spiller & Burr that is a very nice shooting revolver. I would think that there would be a good market for the Whitney replica.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Whitney Replica?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 07:17:36 AM »
Dixie used to carry them. I don't think anyone has one in production now, though. Once in a blue moon I see one pop up on GB, but usually for big $$$.
I had a hankering for one once until I held a S&B, then realized how tiny the thing actually was in my hands.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »
Me too. The Whitney as for as size and history would be on my list. I like the smaller size
of Whitney so my Spiller & Burr is a favorite, even though a little funky to remove and replace the cylinder.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 11:34:35 AM »
Reproduction Whitneys show up on Gunbroker every now & then - one just sold there in April and another the first part of June.  I've managed to snag one from there a few years ago.  It is in the white and the only markings on it are the serial number under the loading lever and  "1861 E. Whitney .36 Caliber" barrel address.   I picked up another on from a fellow Cowboy action shooter that was marked with a double diamond and serial number on the cylinder.  IIRC, Palmetto was making them up until the 80s.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:51:42 AM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »
Hi Fingers, do you remember what was the cost for the Whitney?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 04:54:49 PM »
I gave $250 for the Double Diamond that came with a glass top display case with flask & mold, and $300 for the one from Gunbroker.  Got both of them in 2012.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce