colt banner

Author Topic: Richard is getting a LeMat  (Read 2086 times)

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Re: Richard is getting a LeMat
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2019, 11:33:45 AM »

Additionally mine is about 39 years old and unfired. I might be best left that way. I realize many here do not believe in have a gun that is not a shooter, however a guy can only shoot so many! L@.

Hi tljack, is your 39yr old LeMat a Pietta? My 18yr old Pietta LeMat has a serial number of 118, pretty low.

Regards,
Richard

I am sorry to be so slow replying to your question!! I did not see the post until now.
I have no idea. Theo only markings are: Navy Arms then the city, On top of the barrel it says, "Col LeMat, under the loading lever "black powder only" No date code, no proof marks, no manufacture emblem etc. Serial is 789. My dating is based on the friend I bought it from who purchased it new.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2019, 10:38:41 AM »
Hi, LeatherSmithMike made me a holster for my LeMat, it just arrived today. The LeMat fits like a glove:

You may ask, who made that great belt? LeatherSmithMike of course.

When shooting I always like a pristine gun and a holster that I can be proud. You will never go wrong having LeatherSmithMike do your leather work.

www.LeathersmithMike.net

Now for some nice shooting weather.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Online ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2019, 11:44:13 AM »
WOW!  (jh

Simple and elegant. I love it! The LeMat looks right at home too.

Well done Mike!!
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »
Richard, you are one stylin' dude!
And, nice work, Mike!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2019, 09:28:49 AM »
Hi, the temperature got to a little over 60 dF today so I finally got a chance to shoot the Pietta LeMat revolver. I loaded 25gr powder followed by a lubed wad and .454" ball using my Tower of Power loading tool. Remington #10 caps were used. This revolver sure can sling the lead, my steel targets were singing their hearts out. Nine shots fired fast got the barrel pretty hot. The revolver shooting two hands from 25yds produced groups ~4" ~2" to the left. The revolver is sure a handful. Didn't have a single cap jam or any other problem. I then shot the shotgun barrel using 50gr powder and a patched 0.590" balls. CCI #10 caps were used. The accuracy from the shotgun barrel was good and that large ball really has the steel targets ring loudly.

While the LeMat shoots well, that heavy revolver is one huge handful. Give me an 1851 for any serious BP revolver need. IMO it's a good thing that not too many LeMats were made or the South would have lost the war sooner than it did.

The LeMat will now be cleaned and retired as a safe queen.  )l_ )l_

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Online ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2019, 11:20:15 AM »
Thanks for the report Richard. Sure sounds like a lot of fun shootin that monster. I'd have a hard time letting that one sit in the safe.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2019, 07:53:36 AM »
Hey Richard ,I read most of the postings for your LeMat, unfortunatly the photos did not appear. Looks like your having
a lot of fun. :)
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2019, 08:54:52 AM »
Hi Hewy, yeah, that stinkbucket Flickr lost my photos. I'll check this computer for photo backups.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2019, 09:16:19 AM »
A few more LeMat photos:

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 07:03:11 AM »
Hi, saw this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-LeMat-Revolver-Experimental-Fluted-9-Shot-Cartridge-Cylinder-Brass/323852440480?hash=item4b671c13a0:g:BQgAAOSwM81dIUOE

I think that someone is trying to pull a fast one.

BTW, watched the movie Forsaken again yesterday, great shots of the LeMat at the shootout near the end of the movie.

Regards,
Richard