colt banner

Author Topic: Gearing up  (Read 1067 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
Re: Gearing up
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2019, 04:12:58 PM »
You're gonna be busy!

I ordered the bullets for my new 44-40 yesterday. Still need to order brass.

I see you got plated brass. Mind if I ask why? I was thinking of doing the same, just to distinguish it at a glance from the .45 Colt stuff. But isn't plated brass harder to reload?
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2019, 08:39:50 PM »
No sir, it's not plated...just reg'lar ole brass brass.  Yes, plated would probably be a mother to load. These case mouths are small as it is.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 10:49:42 AM »
You're gonna be busy!

I ordered the bullets for my new 44-40 yesterday. Still need to order brass.

I see you got plated brass. Mind if I ask why? I was thinking of doing the same, just to distinguish it at a glance from the .45 Colt stuff. But isn't plated brass harder to reload?

Dave, are you still planning on loading BPCR in .44-40? If so, did you order bullets with BP lube, what powder brand and granulation are you planning on using, powder charge, and overpowder wads are you going to use?

I am finding a lot of variance on smokeless loads and want to remain low in the pressure areas due to the brass receiver on my '66. Winchester Cowboy loads are in the 750fps MV range (using 225gr bullets and 231 powder) and the various pubs I have list a starting load of Unique as low as 5.0gr all the way up to 8.6gr, and the CUP readings at that max load (for weak action rifles, which the '66 falls into) climb from less than 6,000 with 5.0gr to well over 12,000. Something that us brass receiver guys have to be well aware of! Of course, one has to be aware of bullet obturation as well; the more pressure behind the bullet, the better the bullet is going to fill the bore, and accuracy might change greatly simply by changing up the load by a few grains.
I believe I'm going to have to start at the bottom of the ladder (5.0gr Unique) and start working up a grain at a time until I find the lowest charge load that performs well and groups well. I am definitely NOT ruling out BP loads, but want to get my feet wet with smokeless (unless I change my mind...could happen!) L@J

Which bullet did you buy, BTW? I see you had several listed.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:52:19 AM by Captainkirk »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »
BTW, Dave...watch MidwayUSA for their free shipping promos (usually several times a month). When I filled my cart before adding the FS promo, shipping charges were $14.00 due to the weight of the bullets. After I applied the promo...zip! )lI

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2019, 02:45:28 PM »
Hey Capt. Yes, I ordered my bullets for the 44-40. I ordered them Scarlett. I got the 200grn RNFP, unlubed/unsized. She recommended that since some folks are on the fence about her lube being BP compatible. She sold me 500 for $47.00. I'll size and lube them myself. I'm planning on using SPG lube, seems to be the go-to product for BP. And to answer your question, I will be using BP.

I will keep my eye open for that at Midway. I'm going to have to order pretty quick though. I need to get some brass here so I can start putting cartridges together.

For my load, I will probably go something like I use in my .45 Colt. 25-30 grains of BP under the SPG lubed bullet. I'll use Goex powder in 3FFF to start with. I also have some 2FF that I think I'll try. I may or may not use a lubed wad between them. I've done it both ways with the .45 and haven't really noticed much difference.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2019, 12:00:31 PM »
Since you bought unlubed bullets, are you planning on pan lubing, or using a lubri sizer?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2019, 12:26:17 PM »
When I use smokeless I use 7.0 grains of W 231 with 200 grain RNFP bullets in my 44-40's but I prefer 37 grains of FFG black or Pyrodex RS.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »
When I use smokeless I use 7.0 grains of W 231 with 200 grain RNFP bullets in my 44-40's but I prefer 37 grains of FFG black or Pyrodex RS.

Any issues getting the 'elevator shaft' clean from BP fouling on a '66 or Henry?

Your load sounds very close to the Winchester factory Cowboy loads.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »
Since you bought unlubed bullets, are you planning on pan lubing, or using a lubri sizer?

I'm going to pan lube them Capt. Then run them through the sizer die.

I just made a sizable order at Midway this morning. I'll be all set to start making rounds next week.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2019, 03:39:47 PM »
Did you get free shipping? Not sure when that ended.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 06:21:12 PM »
Did you get free shipping? Not sure when that ended.

No, it must have ended already.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2019, 10:04:32 PM »

Any issues getting the 'elevator shaft' clean from BP fouling on a '66 or Henry?

Your load sounds very close to the Winchester factory Cowboy loads.

I use a Rossi 92 but with 44-40 The thin neck expands to seal off the chamber. You wont get any fouling in the action as long as you leave an empty case in the chamber when you clean it. 6.7 is listed as a max load for revolvers. Taffin says 8.0 for revolvers and I tried a few but they felt pretty stout for a Colt design. I have run my 92 close to 44 mag loads but I wouldn't try it in a brass frame.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
Taffin says 8.0 for revolvers and I tried a few but they felt pretty stout for a Colt design. I have run my 92 close to 44 mag loads but I wouldn't try it in a brass frame.

I generally use 9.5gr Unique in my .44 mag/240gr loads and find them mild compared to factory loaded ammo in my Super Black Hawk. No way I would want to go anywhere near that in a brass receiver rifle, Hawg.
Alliant says 8.6 is max for a 200gr lead bullet but that's pushing 12,000 CUP. Ain't going there!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2019, 11:46:08 AM »
So, I hied myself up to Bass Pro and picked up 500 primers for my .44-40 loads. Saturday night I loaded up a dummy round, roll crimped using the Cowboy die and setting COL to 1.59. Then I loaded one into the Yellow Boy magazine via the loading gate and checked chambering and ejection. Flawless!
My only complaint is a long scratch from case head to bullet on the brass. Not sure where in the process that is getting picked up, but I'm thinking it's in the loading (magazine) process...either from the gate itself, or the case scratching the brass receiver as it's being fed in. I hate tearing up brass; it's expensive, and the only reusable component in the bunch. If either the gate or cover plate is the culprit, I'm sure a little judicious blending will fix that. All the more reason for me to believe this gun has never been fired.
At any rate, the gun loads the dummy round and spits it out with authority. And that makes me  :)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2019, 02:25:12 PM »
Excellent work Capt!
-Abe Lincoln