colt banner

Author Topic: Colt Burgess II  (Read 448 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Colt Burgess II
« on: February 23, 2019, 05:54:32 PM »
Had the hankering to burn some black powder on this fine winter day, so I grabbed up the sweet sweet little Burgess rifle once again.

DSCN4932 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4935 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4934 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4936 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Colt Burgess II
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 07:47:59 PM »
Dang Scoob. I think I officially hate you now!!! Nah just kidding but I am green with envy
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »
Great pictures Scooby! I like the Colt Burgess more than a Winchester. I'm not sure why either. Maybe it's just because I'm a Colt man.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 06:52:29 AM »
Awfully sweet Scdooby.....except for the bear in the 1st pic.....he's kinds scary.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 11:33:53 AM »
Coolest rifle in the whole wide world. 
"A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition".
                              -Rudyard Kipling

"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »
Really cool. I was almost gonna buy one a few months ago but then Dixie put the Pedersoli Lightning on sale for $995 and I got it instead of the Burgess. Now Dixie has the Burgess .44-40 rifle one sale for $1050.

Scooby, when you shoot the Burgess with black powder how often do you fully take it down for cleaning? Is it much harder to dis/reassemble than a Winchester '73?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 01:21:07 AM »
I have often thought of getting a Lightning. It is a unique rifle.
I got to play with an original a few years back and that prompted me to get the version put out by Pedersoli. Then other rifles got in the way.

So far, I have not tore it down after shooting it. I can get the action pretty clean without doing so. But I suspect that I will tear it down after a few more outings.

When I first got it, I tore it down as soon as I took it out of the box. It is a bit more complex than a Winchester 73, but fully doable. However, I have since forgotten most of the finer details I ran into when dealing with the action, but they were easy enough to figure out.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 09:20:45 AM »
I've had a couple issues with my Pedersoli Lightning. Some light primer strikes and a few failures to feed, mostly with smokeless factory ammo. I don't think I have had any light primer strikes with my black powder handloads, Starline brass, CCI small pistol primers and Big Lube bullets. Only a very few failures to feed with my handloads. I have read about fixes for these issues but so far have not had the courage to attempt them. It's irritating but not really a problem for plinking.

I have only put it on paper at 25 yards but it seems very accurate at that distance. It can hit the steel plate at 110 yards pretty easy too.

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 01:38:19 PM »
Wow Scooby,
nice rifle, nice pics, nice grouping and a fine winter's day. And the guy handling the Burgess looks just as if he belongs out there.