colt banner

Author Topic: Purcussion Cap Collecting  (Read 636 times)

Offline smitty1

• View Profile
Re: Purcussion Cap Collecting
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 06:51:06 AM »
There is a labeled Navy Arms tin. Underneath that is a Dixie Gun Works that is red plastic.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 07:15:25 AM »
Here's an old thread I started a few years ago.          http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1522.0 
I have more cap tins but the ones in the old thread are still the most interesting.    I'm always on the look out for old ones,   1925 and earlier is all I will look at.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 08:51:05 AM »
Those antique ones are really neat Mike. I wonder how much better or worse those old ones are? I mean, if they worked any better or worse than modern ones do. Like splitting and such.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 11:45:07 AM »
Those antique ones are really neat Mike. I wonder how much better or worse those old ones are? I mean, if they worked any better or worse than modern ones do. Like splitting and such.

I'd be glad to try them out but I'd rather not open the sealed ones up.   The brass tin has some old caps in it so I weighed a few of them.  5 of them averaged 3.0 grains each.   5 CCI #11 caps averaged 1.5 grains each, and 5 Remington #10 caps averaged 1.3 grains each.   
So there you have it...  old caps weigh more than modern ones.   That's about all you can conclude without breaking the caps down into components and weighing the compound, glue, foil, and metal cup separately.   It does look like the metal cup is heavier on the old caps than on the modern ones.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
Hmmmm. Thanks for doing that Mike. Very interesting.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln