colt banner

Author Topic: How many holes in your collection?  (Read 410 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
How many holes in your collection?
« on: May 10, 2019, 12:53:52 PM »
If you have any serious intent at all to have some sort of a BP collection, unless you are old, rich, or both you likely have some holes in your collection. What might they be, and what would your collection look like without any holes?
I have plugged two really gaping holes recently with the recent purchases of my Starr SA and Rogers & Spencer. Not easy to find or come by, either!
I'm not gonna answer this right now as I have to ponder it a bit to decide what I still think I need...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: How many holes in your collection?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »
I have a lot of holes. I have more holes than collection  (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Online ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 02:57:59 PM »
I'm with Hawg! It would be a shorter list of the guns I have.  (7+"

Seriously though, right off the bat, I need a Walker. Every collection should have one, and I'm embarrassed that I don't. I'd also like a few more confederate guns to go with my Leech & Rigdon. But these are just the tip of the "holes" iceberg.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 05:29:33 AM »
I have them holes too.

I would be happy if I could just get one of every 1858 Remmy for now.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 05:35:28 AM »
I sold some guns recently and created holes.    Looks like I may have to sell some more.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 06:10:36 AM »
I sold some guns recently and created holes.    Looks like I may have to sell some more.

Hi Mike, I'm waiting.  L@J L@J

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 02:45:28 PM »
My glass is half-full.  I got eight in C&B and they get used, regularly.   Many more guns and something won’t get shot. 

A couple could just sit out lookin good on a cabinet or desktop though, like one or two already do anyway?

With that in mind, it looks like the schedule will handle a Lyman Plains Pistol in .50 and a Dragoon, 3d Mod.   

An R&S would be nice too and I don’t have no Walker (yet).  Then there are the lever guns and rabbit ears.  I sure do like those Sharpes’... and ...

... Holup frens, while I catch my breath.
"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 07:57:25 AM »
My cap n' ball collection is pretty much complete. I've got:

Walker
3rd Dragoon
1851 Navy
1860 Army
Pocket Police
1858 Remington .44
1858 Remington .36

I would like to get an 1849 Pocket but I'm in no hurry. I like the Confederate guns but I don't feel like I need to have them.

I would possibly like to get an original Colt someday. I would want it to be one that at least has nice crisp markings but preferably one that also had considerable finish remaining. An 1851 Navy would be my first choice but given prices an 1849 Pocket might be more realistic. I was also thinking a Manhattan might be viable substitute because you can get them a lot cheaper than Colt's.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 11:37:52 AM »
There are a bunch of holes in my collection.  I'm needing the 9 models of SS Uberti's that I'm still searching for as well as about the same number to fill the holes in my Second Gen collection.  Then there's the 1876 50/90 Winchester
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 08:24:38 PM »
i have 13 remington NMA's, not one original... although some of my replicas are more rare than the originals, they arent worth nearly as much lol... like my iver johnson 58 remington, and my lyman "no warning", my stainless 5.5" uberti/kirst conversions cost as much, if not more, than the originals...

so i missing an original and i still want a 1974 made remington...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 08:06:25 PM »
It is clear that my 'holes' are bottomless.

It s  a sickness I tell ya!  I hold you somewhat accountable too!  You enabler you.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 05:12:07 AM »
It is clear that my 'holes' are bottomless.

It s  a sickness I tell ya!  I hold you somewhat accountable too!  You enabler you.

Misery loves company.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 09:00:11 PM »
Hello Misery, I'm company.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 09:54:32 PM »
I will grab up a Starr single action if It pops up when I am looking. Might, maybe, not sure if I will grab up a Lematt.

I have all of the common CSA versions that many of us have. Put together an Avenging Angle a few years back. Have all of the Uberti Colt repro BPC revolvers available, as well as a type I ASM Richards conversion. I think I have every common Uberti percussion revolver there is to be had except for a few barrel length options for the Police modle and the 1863 pocket modle . I suppose if I keep up the gathering of repro revolvers, I might pick up a few more Replica Arms versions to go with what I have. I would also take on an 1849 with a 6 inch barrel without a load lever. However, I am not going to look very hard for any of those that I think might fill the hole.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 01:15:09 PM »
Oh my! What a question. I meet one of the previously listed qualifications to having a good collection: "old", but not rich.
My list includes a  Leech and Rigdon,  Colt Root, 1/2 scale Napoleon Cannon. To fill my 2nd gen collection I need a cased Walker. Have a 3rd, but not the same.

If I was not just old but also rich, I go for owning every common Confederate original and a pristine Colt of each type. A few odd balls like a rotating cylinder flint lock and others.

A Colt 45/70 Gatling gun would be nice too. As I dabble in Sharps I need a slant breech. I also have a thing for muzzle loading rifles and pistols. Especially fond of flintlocks. A couple dozen more originals or custom made would be  nice start. :)
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning