1858banner

Author Topic: Muzzleloader??  (Read 1179 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Muzzleloader??
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 11:13:52 AM »
Sorry, but "modern muzzle loaders" are nothing but a work-around so people who don't give a tin whistle about actual historic muzzle loaders can sneak in to the ML hunting seasons and snipe the game out from under us. If they were not permitted to do so, nobody would buy one.
If you can't hunt with what our forefathers did, go hunt in the regular gun season.
I agree, gives someone more hunting time with no thought to historical precedence. Here in Wi. the DNR has taken that same approach, allowing in-lines with scopes. As far as I know, Pennsylvania is about the only State that requires traditional flintlock rifles for deer season. Before we even had a "primitive" season, I was hunting regular deer gun season with my flintlocks!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 11:41:02 AM »
Primitive weapons are a joke here. Legal primitive weapons for the first season here are any breech loading single shot rifle or carbine with an external hammer and .35 caliber or larger using smokeless powder and scopes. The H&R Handi Rifle in .35 Whelen or 45-70 is king. That's just the first primitive weapons season. The rest of the primitive weapons seasons it's weapon of choice. Meaning if it's legal during regular gun season it's legal for primitive weapons. So if you want to use your AR 15 with 30 round mags it's perfectly legal to do so.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 02:18:41 PM »
Idaho got most of the elements right for our muzzleloader seasons by excluding scopes, in-lines, 209 primers, and sabots as well as requiring a minimum of .45 for deer and .50 for elk and moose. They dropped the ball by allowing fiber optic sights and substitute powders. It would appear that they made a compromise between the two sides. At least they dont call it a primative or traditional season.