Author Topic: The Clunker Returns  (Read 3966 times)

Offline kBob

• View Profile
The Clunker Returns
« on: July 24, 2010, 10:39:38 PM »
Hi Guys,

This is going to be an old question for some of you from THR, but I thought maybe someone here could help me identify the maker of  “The Clunker”

I picked up a non functional 1851 Navy Colt type replica nothing. That is it is a brass framed rendition of the 1851 Colt but in .44 caliber with a stepped cylinder.

Can not figure out who made it and so where to get parts.

Has the standard Italian star over shield and star over PN and date stamp XXX on the frame, barrel ( right flat next to forcing cone) and cylinder (between to bolt notches.)

Shooters right barrel flat has “CAL .44 NAVY MODEL - MADE IN ITALY” markings.

The lower left flat has “BLACK POWDER ONLY” deeply stamped in it or cast.

Serial number of three digits on frame and barrel bottom where they come together.

The only other marking is the letters “COM” inside a rectangle on the bottom flat under the loading lever.

The cylinder is shorter than the one on the same sort of revolver ( brass framed, octagon barrel, .44 cal) from Pietta as sold by Cabellas. The grips also appear to be a bit smaller and the rear bottom of the grip is straighter without the flair of the Pietta.  The hammer is thinner than the Pietta , will not inter change and has a nicer shape in that the end of the cock of the Clunker flairs to the rear. The hammer sight notch appears to be a bit wider and the front sight sticks up higher on the Clunker as well. The barrel assembly of the clunker is also a smidgion smaller than the Pietta and will also not interchange.

What have I got?

BTW I got it where the hammer cocks and the hand turns the cylinder, but the bolt does not engage as it appears it does not raise more than the smallest amount above its half cock position hammer down or at full cock. At half cock when the cylinder is spun one can hear the hand clatter across the cylinder ratchets but the sound is slightly different when at full cock. There appears to be considerable drag on the left side of the bolt that is preventing its raising, so I am looking to find a new bolt as light polishing and Rig Grease have not helped it move. Also the Pietta trigger/ bolt spring seems to be too long and not applying pressure on the hand as far forward as the spring does in the Pietta, which may contribute to this problem.

Hope someone can help.

-kBob

Offline Rock Island

• View Profile
Re: The Clunker Returns
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 10:58:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum KBob, I am afraid I don't know much about the brass frame revolvers beyond the basic Pietta and whoever made the revolvers for CVA in the early 1980's ( probably Pietta) Nice find, all I ever come across are the Pietta's, looks pretty nice in the pic.
If it shoots then I have it, am about to get it, want it, or plotting to get it

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
    • Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
Hello kBob,

You have a revolver that has been a mystery for over 16yrs.  The COM is an unknown manufacturer.  It would really be nice to have a picture of the marking inside a box.  I have never seen this before.  Usually it is just COM.  Other unknown manufacturer's markings are: 

DOM       
PR (overstriking each other)     
MOFRA     
Double Diamond(two elongated diamonds with side apex touching)   
"O.O.M. - Gardone - VT"       
GB

Offline kBob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »
I recently did some measurements on the Klunker in the hopes of helping to ID the maker

I did the most obvious difference to me first. Measuring across the bottom of the grip from front to rear on a Pietta of not so long ago gave a measuremnt of 2.333 inches, but the Klunker only measures 2.067 the same way. While the Pietta seems to have a recurve or lessening of the curve as the backstrap nears the butt making a visual flair, theKlunker is straight.

As the hammer from a Pietta would not even go in the hammer slot of the Klunker I measured finding the Pietta hammer to be .331 inches wide and the Klunker hammer to be .314 inches wide.

The rebated Pietta cylinder (Both are brass .44s) was 1.989 inches long and the Klunker 1.828 inches long. Width across the front was 1.595 on the pietta and 1.569 on the Klunker.

Oddly the klunker had a larger in diameter arbor coming in at .434 inches compared to .430 on the Pietta.
-kBob

Offline lizardo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »
Could be an FIE. I have a Baby Dragoon by them that no replacement parts fit, they are too big. I believe they may have been made by Palmetto, but am not sure. If I can find it around here, it sounds familiar also to a parts gun I got from an old gunsmith aquaintance of mine. It had no barrel, the cylinder is .44 a bit shorter than a Pietta, frame is narrower. The arbor seemed longer also, but was stripped out in the frame.