General Category > Did you know??

Manufacturers of the .31cal. Revolvers

<< < (2/3) > >>

drjldavis:
Captainkirk, this is an unusual Baby Dragoon.  It is the short frame with rectangular cylinder stops.  EIG was an importer in Florida.  EIG was also the first importer to bring in the replica Schneider & Glassick.  They marketed this as a Reb Navy.  Your Dragoon also has cylinder engraving that I have never seen before.  It is not the usual Ormsby Stagecoach Scene.  What is it?  Can't tell exactly from photo.  I would bet that the manufacturer is definately Armi San Marco.  The only other would be Palmetto but the Baby Dragoons and Pocket Models they produced had the Long Frame.

All brass frame revolvers that I have seen marked EIG are from an unknown manufacturer using a "GB" logo on the butt.  EIG went out of business as a result of a legal action and their surplus stock was purchased by FIE, another Florida importer.  RPRCA has a Schneider & Glassick marked "GB" and FIE on the butt which was one of EIG's revolvers.  FIE used a manufacturer using a "PR" logo, also unknown.

Captainkirk:
Thanks for the reply!
I will try to get some more photos for you this evening. The engraving on the cylinder (to the naked eye, as best I can determine) appears to be a soldier on horseback chasing...something....maybe an Indian? and some scrollwork with the word "Patent" in it. I am surprised that the detail in the photos shows more than I can actually see by eye.

Captainkirk:
Here are some more photos of the Baby Dragoon (sorry...not the best quality)
Butt side (flash on)

Butt side (flash off)

Side view

Cylinder close-up

Cylinder scrollwork

Cylinder scrollwork

Cylinder close-up

drjldavis:
I would consider this Baby Dragoon a very collectable piece.  It is the first EIG marked Baby Dragoon that I have seen in over twenty years of study and collecting.  I have a EIG marked Pocket Model but no Baby Dragoons.  Also my Pocket Model has the standard Ormby's Stagecoach Scene engraving on the cylinder.

Captainkirk:
Not planning on selling it any time soon, but would you happen to have a ballpark value figure? (Just curious) I got what I considered to be a decent price on the purchase. Also, the front sight has been replaced and the V-notch in the hammer deepened by the previous owner; would this detract from the value any? New hammers are available through Dixie but I have not found a replacement sight yet....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version