Author Topic: Interessting Discovery  (Read 2943 times)

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Interessting Discovery
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
While redoing the inventory of my guns I have made an interesting discovery!

I own an unfired Walker 2nd gen. It is in a Colt presentation case (Walnut with "Colt" pressed into the lower right hand corner). The interior is lined with a light blue velvet. It has the standard places for typical accessories.

Referring to my 2nd Gen Colt Collectors Handbook and Price guide I can find nothing like this.

Also on the left side of the interior is a wooden compartment 1 5/8" x 6". It has a lift out lid with a little brass nob.

The flask is a W5056 Powder Flask.

The nipple wrench is a Walker style but meets the description of a W5059 for a Dragoon.

The best find is the bullet mold. There is no question that it is W5089 and has obviously never been used!!

The cap tin is a standard Eley.

I am most interested if any of you EXPERTS can help me ID the presentation case.

I would provide a picture but my experience in that area has been abysmal!   :-[
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Interessting Discovery
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »
If the case looks like this:

It is a Signature Series case made between 1994 and 2002.  Suspect the accessories are Sig Series also.  Are you sure the Walker is a 2nd Gen?  What is the SN?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Discovery
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:39:07 PM »
Fingers McGee,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The serial number does not fit the very narrow range noted in the 2nd gen Colt book. When reading about the 3rd gen revolvers in the same book, on the page 169 , in the 3rd paragraph. it says as you most likely know, "With the exception of the Paterson model, the back strap has Sam Colt's signature on it."

Another area that does not fit a 2nd gen is this gun says, "Colts Patient" on the frame. This is a 4 digit number.
This revolver does not have a signature and neither do any of the accessories. The accessories descriptions on page 77 describes the powder flask to the "T" of the W5056. The markings are identical to the description. No other marks of any kind. The same hold true with the bullet mold. The description of the W5089 on page 79 fit my mold exactly. there are no other markings.

I was not able to locate a description of the presentation case in my book. the case appears to be like the one in your photo.

All of the markings and numbers are in the correct locations for real Colt revolver.

I am no more than ever anxious to figure out what this revolver is! It as sol to me as a second generation revolver as stated on the receipt. If it is NOT a second gen I definitely do not even want it and will be paying the dealer I bought it from a visit.  :(

No doubt I will take it in the shorts but it will be up for sale.  :P

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »
You are correct, Interesting.  SN range for the 2nd Gens was 1200-3772 and 32256-32500.  I'd say that any number outside that was a Sig Series gun, even though there is no Sam Colt on the backstrap.  The Colt's Patent also tends to point in that direction.  IIRC, there were some left over 2nd Gen accessories/sets that were actually packaged and sold in Sig series boxes. Maybe Dennis can provide more info.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »
I do not think the dealer I bought this set from intended to misrepresent it. I have bought many fire arms from him over the years and I know for certain he has an impeccable reputation! I believe he looked at the back strap and presumed it was 2nd Gen. I did the same myself. Until I started to really dig into the detail of each gun I own, did not notice it either.

I guess this is how it goes with collecting guns or anything else. Unfortunately a discovery certainly can be upsetting. No doubt I am going to really take it in the shorts when selling it.

It will be in Gun Broker soon as I have absolutely no interest in 3rd gen Colts.

On the other hand, maybe I should just use it as an everyday shooter cuz as a 3rd gen, I doubt it is worth much.

Terry

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:54:03 PM »
Shoot, you oughta keep it and shoot it.  Regardless; it's worth more than a Uberti or ASM and about 3/4 of a 2nd Gen.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
Good point Fingers.

My only issue is I am out of gun safe room for guns I want and really do not have more room for another safe.

Think I will shoot it anyway.