Author Topic: New Rig!  (Read 5529 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
New Rig!
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:19:46 PM »
I haven't found time to get pictures yet, but I just received a new rig from Leathersmith Mike (Mike116 on 1858 Remington and Colt Country) that is absolutely OUTSTANDING in quality, looks, fit and finish. I told Mike to use his imagination and design a rig that might be period correct for a Civil War era (or just after) period cowhand/drifter who was still carrying a percussion Remmy '58 (1863 NMA). Not only did he create a masterpiece, he made it so it not only fits my '58, but also my Colt Navy models and '60 Army as well. I can't recommend Mike enough....I've seen gunleather for almost twice the price not up to the quality of this rig.
Thank you, Mike, for a rig I will be proud to wear anywhere, anytime!
Pictures forthcoming.......... ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:20:59 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Re: New Rig!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:43:31 PM »
Sounds like it is really nice. I will be anxious to see the pictures you are so good at posting!  :)
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!

Offline mike116

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:57:21 PM »
I haven't been logging on here on a regular basis lately but am going to try to get over here more often.  Anyway,  I stumbled across Captainkirk's post about the rig I made for him.   Since he hasn't had time to get any pics posted I thought I would save him some time and post them myself.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 12:46:38 AM »
Sorry, Mike...don't get over here all that often and sorta forgot. Gents, the more I wear this thing the better I like it. It's breaking in nicely and I have nothing but good things to say about the rig and Mike's abilities as a leathersmith.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 02:13:26 PM »
A masterpiece.  It's a pleasure to think of Mike making it and Captain owning and using such a beauty.

Question:  Mike (and all),  what do you recommend for general leather care like cleaning, preserving, moisturizing? ... general leather care.  What are you views and opinions?

If pictures tell a story (and they do) those ones above say it all.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:15:03 PM by G Dog »

Offline mike116

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 07:36:51 PM »
Sorry, Mike...don't get over here all that often and sorta forgot. Gents, the more I wear this thing the better I like it. It's breaking in nicely and I have nothing but good things to say about the rig and Mike's abilities as a leathersmith.

Thanks Capt.   No apologies needed,  You have had a lot going on lately.   I just happened to log on after along absence from this forum so I threw some pics up for you.   I actually didn't realize you were a member here also. 

Offline mike116

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »

Question:  Mike (and all),  what do you recommend for general leather care like cleaning, preserving, moisturizing? ... general leather care.  What are you views and opinions?

G Dog,  didn't know you were over here either.   It depends on the way the leather was tanned.   Generally though, I stay away from oils.  Waxes protect better and don't discolor the leather like oil does.   There are lots of different kinds but I like Fiebing's  Leather Sheen.   It's an aerosol spray so it's fast and easy.  Keeps things protected and looking nice.     
http://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/top-finishes/?product=202

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'll be looking into some of that Fiebing product.  Looking forward to using it.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 11:07:24 PM »
Mike, I'm everywhere. Sorta like mosquitoes in the summertime.
Thanks for those photos...they are so much better than the ones I took. You, sir, are a master craftsman. Your holster is breaking in quite nicely, BTW....

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 07:51:12 PM »
I can see why you are so impressed with it! It is awesome! I will have to have something similar made as I need a good rig for my 51 Navy that I am in love with.

Terry Jack
Springfield, OR.

Offline mike116

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 07:47:56 PM »
Did someone say '51 Navy?   Here's one of mine with a slim jim holster I made for it.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »
Nice, Mike! Anymore closeups of that one?

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 06:00:04 PM »
Mike, I did say 1851 Navy for sure. I have a number of Italian 51s and 3 2nd Generation that have not been fired. I picked up a 2nd gen that has been fored but in very good shape cheap. I am using it as My everyday shooter. I love the feel of the action. Also love the 4 clicks when cocked!

Offline mike116

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 11:04:52 PM »
Hard to beat an 1851 Navy.   The one in pic is not fired but I have others I do shoot.  All of them are reproductions.   

Captainkirk,   I'll see if I can dig up a couple more pics.

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Mike 116, the leather work in the pictured posts is absolutely wonderful.

I will need some belts and holsters made, when I quit wasting my money buying more Colt's and Uberti's.

I will get a hold of you, because I like your demonstrated ability...!

Bill