Banner

Author Topic: ASM Richards Conversion  (Read 5040 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
ASM Richards Conversion
« on: July 29, 2010, 04:08:03 AM »
This is the ASM Richards conversion of t an 1860 Colt.  The barrel is lined to allow the use of inside lubed buulets.  The rear sight is part of the conversion ring and the firing pin is spring loaded and in the conversion ring.  from the factory the trigger pull was dangerously light ( less than 1 pound) so I adjusted it to about 5 pounds which is where I prefer them to be.  After using it about a year, I noticed the pull was getting poor and found the trigger sear was peening over from use.  The hammer was showing signs of soft steel as was the bolt.  I replaced the trigger and bolt and tried to harden the hammer.  No luck!  Parts for the Richards were unobtainable, so I used an 1860 hammer and converted it to fit the revolver.  Since that time I have used it quite a bit and no new wear has been noticed.  I use a 200 grain RNFP bullet over a full case of black powder.  My lube is homemade and seems to do the trick of keeping fouling soft and the revolver running smooth.  I have also used the Springfield designed Collar button bullet for the 45-70 (158 grains) and sized it down to .430.  It carries more lube than necessary but weighs only a little more than the round ball and gives higher velocity than the RNFP.  The Collar Button is a lot of fun and groups well.  I haven't tried round ball yet, the two conicals are enough for my type of shooting.  Suprisingly, I only use round ball in 1860s (all my C&B revolvers really) but in the conversion I prefer the conicals.  

I often carry this revolver when walking the woods and use it on targets of opportunity.  A lot of fun shooting long range with it at logs and empty 5 gallon pails.  When I carry my 1841 Mississippi Trapdoor (a merging of an 1866 trapdoor barrel with an Itallian Mississippi rifle stock and lock) I also carry this revolver.  

I know ASM is out of business but I am not aware if anyone else is making the Richards conversion.  I like it for the firing pin and rear sight placement.  
Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

I prefer to hunt with cartridges introduced prior to my birth.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• View Profile
    • FRiends Of the Centaure Society (FROCS)
Re: ASM Richards Conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:07:54 AM »
In preparation for a subject paper I scanned the conversion pistol market recently. It appears that only USPFA (now called USFA) and ASM made Richards conversions.
USPFA did that during the 1990s. They terminated the project after a few specimens only were made...which are sought after by collectors today. Their version is pretty PC according to pictures I have seen. When ASM decided to make their's they moved away from the original Richards, e. g. look at the gap between conversion ring and breechside of the cylinder, and the cylinder and bottom of the frame which should have steps. I owned one of these ASM Richards. Mine had an excellent finish & was a decent shooter at 25 meters with 200 grainers over a light CAS type smokeless load. It also had a very light trigger.
Uberti is making a Richards Transitional Model which is the barrel/ejector assembly of the Richards and the frame/cylinder/conversion ring assembly of the Richards-Mason.
Most of the conversion artists make PC customs Richards conversions, either as display pistols or shooters or both. In the dimensions dept. their specs are usually in line with the original. Because these gentlemen use C&B Armies to work from..and not newly made & beefed-up barrels, frames, arbors and cylinders like the industry made conversions.
As a shooter I like the conversion ring mounted rear sight of the Richards. That provides for an excellent sight picture.
These comments are not ment to speak ill of either industry or customs made conversions or their makers, please get me right. Both have their happy customers.
Long Johns Wolf

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:46:27 AM »
Long Johns Wolf,

What do you mean when you say "...PC..."?  I am not familiar with that abbreviation.

Thanks.
Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

I prefer to hunt with cartridges introduced prior to my birth.

Offline Rock Island

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 05:47:09 AM »
It's a nice looking Revolver  8)
If it shoots then I have it, am about to get it, want it, or plotting to get it

Offline kBob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:08:45 AM »
I assume LJW uses PC to mean  "Period Correct"

The confussion is from the use of "PC" in the USA being understood as "Politically Correct" a term and concept many of us loath.

-kBob

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• View Profile
    • FRiends Of the Centaure Society (FROCS)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:43:21 AM »
Yes, PC is supposed to mean "period correct". Sorry, if I misled you.
Now, help me, please, pards & pardettes. What would be the politically correct abbriviation of "period correct"?
Long Johns Wolf
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:47:44 AM by Long Johns Wolf »