Author Topic: What, exactly, is a "collector"?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
What, exactly, is a "collector"?
« on: January 26, 2018, 10:44:02 PM »
I asked this question on some other forums and was surprised at the answers I received...everything from uptight money-grubbing snobs to pansies who own BP guns but don't shoot them.
Wow. :o
Maybe some other places, but not on my turf, Jack. <|(
To me, a 'collection' is (usually) more than one of something alike, or similar. The value can be sentimental, or personal, in addition to historical, financial or any other typical mindset. Examples; as a kid, I collected baseball cards. Certainly no monetary value there, but it was my dream to have my fantasy baseball team in a shoebox, and I got there eventually. I don't feel blackpowder revolvers in a collection have to be rare, high value or even unusual; one could collect Pietta brass-framed revolvers if that was his or her kick and it would be a perfectly legitimate collection. It's great to see someone's Gregorelli & Uberti collection, but no less of a feat to collect old Navy Arms imports from the '60s and '70s, or even late model Piettas. Whatever flips your switch, in other words. And no other 'collector' has the right to downplay what is important to YOU, now or in the future. Please feel free to share your BP revolver collections here, be it a rare Centaure or G&U revolver, or a Pietta you picked up at Cabela's last week. I will be adding new categories here as well, for those who collect flasks, black powder pins, tools, etc. Share and enjoy! :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:44:30 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: What, exactly, is a "collector"?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
To me, a collector is one who specializes in a particular maker, model, type, etc. Me....I am an eclectic "accumulator" of miscellaneous guns.  (j*

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
To me, a collector is one who specializes in a particular maker, model, type, etc. Me....I am an eclectic "accumulator" of miscellaneous guns.  (j*

Mazo kid, I can agree with you on this. I will add also a collector of miscellaneous gun accessories, especially for cap and ball revolvers, Sharps rifles and carbines and flintlock guns

Terry
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!

Offline ikesdad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:48:03 AM »

I agree. I too fall into the accumulator group. I don't focus on any type, maker, etc. I buy what appeals to me at any given period. Right now, it's .58 CW rifles - repro of course. Last year it was Trapdoors. The best part is the research prior to purchase.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:51:15 AM by ikesdad »