Author Topic: Lead pot repair  (Read 606 times)

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Lead pot repair
« on: April 13, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »
While melting and pouring the ingots of lead from my pot I was not to happy with the condition of the ingots. not that it really matters, but they are all wrinkly and distorted. Came to the conclusion that the orifice must be a bit clogged. I need a good steady stream to insure good quality RBs and bullets. ( I cast them also)

Today I will see about taking it apart and getting the flow better. Will post what I find when I do it.

Terry
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Lead pot repair
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:49:25 PM »
Which melter are you using...Lee, or one of the big guys (RCBS, Lyman)?
I keep telling myself I'm gonna upgrade from my little Lee melter but it seems to get the job done.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »
I currently am using a Lee 20 lb. furnace. I found a big chunk of slag in the outlet orifice. It should work just fine.

I am saving my pennies to get one of the new 25 lb. furnaces with the digital temperature control.

I cast a lot of bullets for my Sharps rifles and carbines as well as a 62 caliber Transitional flintlock so I can go through a lot of lead pretty fast.

Terry

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:54:37 PM »
I currently am using a Lee 20 lb. furnace. I found a big chunk of slag in the outlet orifice. It should work just fine.

I am saving my pennies to get one of the new 25 lb. furnaces with the digital temperature control.

I cast a lot of bullets for my Sharps rifles and carbines as well as a 62 caliber Transitional flintlock so I can go through a lot of lead pretty fast.

Terry

I can see that happening. I have a Sharps bought and paid for, just need to find time to pick it up.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »

I can see that happening. I have a Sharps bought and paid for, just need to find time to pick it up.
[/quote]

I know it is not a repro cap and ball revolver, but would love to hear about it.