Author Topic: Experts weigh in?  (Read 585 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Experts weigh in?
« on: March 08, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »
My buddy called last night. He just won an auction on two guns...an ASP 1860 Army and Navy Arms 1851 Navy. The Army is just what you would expect it to be for a San Paolo; DGG barrel marking, etc. The Navy, however...different story.
It's Uberti, yes. It's also stamped "NAVY ARMS CO" in big block letters both on the left side of the frame (where you would normally see "Colt's Patent") and also on the top barrel flat. OK; not so unusual. But what REALLY stands out is:

1) the cylinder is smooth, non-roll engraved

2) On the bottom barrel flat, under the loading lever, it is stamped "Made In Italy" with the preceding engraved "G.U." indicating this is clearly a Gregorelli & Uberti gun. Date code is XVII (1961).

3) This gun came in a cased set lined in red velvet with a powder flask and bullet mould. He did not provide me with a serial number, but I'm thinking he scored BIG TIME on this one, paying no more than some are asking for used brassers. What do you experts think?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Experts weigh in?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 04:01:54 PM »
I'm definitely late to the fire on this thread, but .......He definitely got a good rare set.  I'm assuming it's steel framed? but even if it's not, it's worth a tidy sum as long as it's unfired.

is it too late for pictures? 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Hoof Hearted

• View Profile
    • Cartridge Conversions
Re: Experts weigh in?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 09:10:05 PM »
The 1851 is a Gregorelli & Uberti which were the very first cap and ball Revolvers produced. A joint effort with Bill Edwards (Civil War Historian) and Val Forgett (Navy Arms). I too have a mint cased set but mine is the “Rebel” where as your friend’s would be the “Yank”. The original thought was that they would make both 1851 Navy Colts and Leech and Rigdon for the anniversary of the civil war.
Check out my new website:

http://www.cartridgeconversion.com