Author Topic: Euroarms Blue and Gray  (Read 202 times)

Online Rick F

• View Profile
Euroarms Blue and Gray
« on: June 16, 2020, 10:54:59 PM »
The blue and gray
These two cap and ball revolvers were made in Italy by Euroarms Brescia in 1974 according to the date stamp "XXX" I got these at a bargain price separately. About $125.  each. These are faithful replicas of the 1860 Remington New Model Army. Any modern Remington copy will be marketed as Remington 1858 because of a patton mark on original guns.
    The gray one had all the finish stripped probably to make it seemed aged. It was marketed in the US by Lyman an is so marked on the barrel.  Lyman does not sell these any more. This one had the loading lever broken so would not function. I tried to make a proper linkage, but failed in my effort to temper the small part. Also the pin hole had been bored out to large. I finally bought a Pietta lever and replaced the original. You can see the difference in the photos comparing the lever  secure piece  of both revolvers. I was surprised that the Pietta lever fit so well with minor filling and fitting.
         The blue gun had no grips it was unusable. I guess the owner wanted to get rid it. The nice walnut grips were on the gray.  I put them on the Blue to make a nice looking revolver.  I later purchased the more rugged grips to fit on the Gray. It better matched the gun. These took some time to restore due to problems getting parts to fit. I got both of these after 1995 couple of years apart on Gunbroker.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Euroarms Blue and Gray
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 09:15:19 PM »
Great pictures Rick. Thanks for posting them here.

I'm still partial to that "gray" pistol. I really like the way it looks.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 10:36:18 PM »
Rick,

Thanks for posting them along with the case you built for it! I, too, like the "antiqued" one and I am not one who favors defarbed revolvers. It really looks nice. Who did it? Give us some photos/details such a manufacturer logo, datecode, "anything", etc. Folks interested in these want know historical replica details.

I would really like to hear about your trials and tribulations insofar as constructing the case. I am sure it took much time and effort. Very nice!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jim
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:43:49 PM by sourdough »

Online Rick F

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 12:19:27 PM »
The blue and gray
These two cap and ball revolvers were made in Italy by Euroarms Brescia in 1974 according to the date stamp "XXX" I got these at a bargain price separately. About $125.  each. These are faithful replicas of the 1860 Remington New Model Army. Any modern Remington copy will be marketed as Remington 1858 because of a patton mark on original guns.
    The gray one had all the finish stripped probably to make it seemed aged. It was marketed in the US by Lyman an is so marked on the barrel.  Lyman does not sell these any more. This one had the loading lever broken so would not function. I tried to make a proper linkage, but failed in my effort to temper the small part. Also the pin hole had been bored out to large. I finally bought a Pietta lever and replaced the original. You can see the difference in the photos comparing the lever  secure piece  of both revolvers. I was surprised that the Pietta lever fit so well with minor filling and fitting.
         The blue gun had no grips it was unusable. The ram channel was mashed so the ram would bind.  I spread it so it works perfectly now. I guess the owner wanted to get rid it. The nice walnut grips were on the gray.  I put them on the Blue to make a nice looking revolver.  I later purchased the more rugged grips to fit on the Gray. It better matched the gun. These took some time to restore due to problems getting parts to fit. I got both of these after 1995 couple of years apart on Gunbroker.

I do not know who antiqued the Gray revolver.  It came to me that way but with considerable rust and damage.

The story of the gray

I have it listed in my  photos in 2013.  You can see the ram linkage is gone.  I tried to repair it with a spring pin and a home made link. Another issue was that the ball seating ram was twisted and would bind bending the link. I pulled the original out and bought a Pietta lever which fit. I used vinegar  to strip the blue to antique it to fit the gray revolver. I had to widen the ram Channel . Now the ram moves smoothly.  The nice walnut grips did not fit the style of the gray revolver.  I bought some “aged”  grips the looked good on the antiqued gun.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:24:54 PM by Rick F »

Online Rick F

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 12:35:14 PM »
more photos.

Online Rick F

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 12:46:44 PM »
Holsters. Simple but better for me than the poorly made store bought versions.

Online Rick F

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 04:58:48 PM »
I saw some interest in my Remington display box. I thought it was time to describe my construction method.
 I took the flatware box and striped the original lining.
 I used a spray glue adhesive on the inside surface and as carefully as I could smithed precut pieces of felt on the bottom and in the top.
The box pieces and dividers were covered with felt  like wrapping Christmas boxes. The dividers were of 1/4 x1 1/2 hardwood strips from the lumber yard. However yard sticks would work as well . A couple of sticks I cut from 2/4 wood using my band saw.
The red felt can be glued using any glue you choose. White glue works very well. Design your layout and cut the dividers first so you can deal with mistakes.

Online Rick F

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
Cover each divider with felt .
Let the glue set then glue them into position in the box.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 05:43:00 PM »
Hang on to those. With the country's current insanity I would assume any set referencing the ACW will be forced to 'take a knee' and cease production.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online Rick F

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 10:34:20 PM »
Captain, good thinking
Rick

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 06:50:52 PM »
Captain, good thinking
Rick

That was NOT tongue-in-cheek...I fully expect anything to do with  {;( will be done away with, whether historical or not. *)-

Online Rick F

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »
I believe it.  I’m stopping any internet activity.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 08:19:56 PM »
I believe it.  I’m stopping any internet activity.

And I'm guessing those with "confederate collections" will be called out as politically incorrect.
It's history. It happened. *%<

Online Rick F

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »
And rebel connection and history.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 11:47:47 PM »
Yep. We probably won't be seeing any Dance, G&G, or L&R guns coming out anytime soon.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln