Banner

Author Topic: “Replica”  (Read 292 times)

Offline Rick F

• View Profile
“Replica”
« on: July 01, 2020, 11:16:48 AM »
I find it curious that a Remington 1860 NMA is a replica no matter how well made it is.  However a copy of a Colt 1911  is not a replica, but a 1911.  There are many current producers of 1911, .45 pistols. I haven’t seen any called a replica.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory"-
    • View Profile
Re: “Replica”
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 11:49:04 AM »
I find it curious that a Remington 1860 NMA is a replica no matter how well made it is.  However a copy of a Colt 1911  is not a replica, but a 1911.  There are many current producers of 1911, .45 pistols. I haven’t seen any called a replica.

I've thought of that as well, Rick. No answer, though. I'm sure there is a reason, perhaps having something to do with smokeless era firearms? (post-1900)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Rick F

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 01:19:51 PM »
I want refer to my 1858 Rems as replicas. In fact I’m not going to refer to any on the public media from here on.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory"-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 01:22:23 PM »
I want refer to my 1858 Rems as replicas. In fact I’m not going to refer to any on the public media from here on.

I wouldn't worry about these forums, Rick. You're in good company here.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
Maybe it has something to do with parts interchangeability? You can put the parts made by just about every maker of the 1911, into a Colt and they fit and function. They are true copies. But try and put parts from a Uberti or ASM into an original 1860 NMA and see how that goes.

It may work, but chances are the fit is horrible. So they are not true copies, they are replicas. They look like the original, mostly. But they are not interchangeable.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 01:54:33 PM »
Maybe it has something to do with parts interchangeability? You can put the parts made by just about every maker of the 1911, into a Colt and they fit and function. They are true copies. But try and put parts from a Uberti or ASM into an original 1860 NMA and see how that goes.

It may work, but chances are the fit is horrible. So they are not true copies, they are replicas. They look like the original, mostly. But they are not interchangeable.

Works for me.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Woodnbow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »
I wonder if it doesn’t have something to do with the original Italian and Belgians being called replica by the manufacturers and importers. Then of course the BATF picked up on it and there you go. Also, any original Colt has intrinsic value and people back then were very careful not to appear to be pulling a fast one on the collecting public.
1911’s are sometimes very collectible but often they are shooters only and in common everyday use as well when the first copies showed up in the market. So replica didn’t carry the same weight as it did with the older Colts.