Author Topic: Arbor clearance  (Read 120 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Arbor clearance
« on: July 08, 2020, 06:07:17 PM »
In the last few years I have installed Kirst cylinders in a couple of Uberti 60 Armies and one Pietta 44 Navy. The Pietta installation went a little easier as there is a clearance cut in the arbor right where the hand comes out of the frame to engage the cylinder ratchet. The two Ubertis didn't have that clearance cut and I found that when cocking the gun, the hand would contact the arbor and be pushed slightly away from engaging the cylinder. I feel this was one of the issues I encountered in trying to get the Ubertis timed correctly. Has anyone else run into this or am I mistaken? All three guns were of recent--within last five years--manufacture.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory"-
    • View Profile
Re: Arbor clearance
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »
Check with Mike Brackett (45 Dragoon on here) who has probably set up more conversions than all of us here combined
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 09:30:29 PM »
I've heard this problem talked about before. I believe you just need to relieve the arbor a bit and all is well.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »
Shotgun Dave, I have attempted to relieve the arbor as you suggested. However that area is difficult to reach as the recoil shield partially covers it. I have worked with small files and barely scratched the arbor. As I don't want to remove the arbor to clearance that spot, my latest idea would be to use a flex shaft on a Dremel tool and see if I can grind that area using one of their small sanding drums. Off to Home Depot for more tools! :) For now, the guns are working correctly and I may use them this weekend at our Cowboy shoot.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 11:18:43 AM »
I sympathize with you Navy Six. Taking the arbor out is a pain, but not that hard. I wouldn't want to do it if I didn't have to either.

Maybe a small diameter grinding stone? I have some for my Dremel that are not much bigger around than the shaft they're mounted on. Maybe something like that would work.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln