Banner

Author Topic: Modern Repro Shoulder Stock Types  (Read 137 times)

Offline sourdough

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Modern Repro Shoulder Stock Types
« on: July 15, 2020, 03:09:28 PM »
Since I requested this section, I will start by stating that I have (probably) an inordinate fascination with shoulder stocked revolvers. I have many photos of them that I have gleaned from the Internet. I can recall some sources for these photos, but not many. Therefore I will punt and state what I can recall.

This is a photo of three stocks marketed by Uberti a while ago (currently, Pietta/EMF has been the only readily available source). These are Uberti revolvers:

Photo: source unknown to me.

Top: 1860 Army .44 Full-fluted Cylinder. The stock yoke has an unusually high profile behind the recoil shield for Colt Type 3 stock. Note that the length of the J-hook housing is long enough to accommodate the Army grip.

Middle: 1861 Navy .36. The stock yoke is a fairly accurate representation of a Type 3 Stock. Note the shorter length of the J-hook housing to accommodate the Navy grip.

Bottom: "1858" New Model Army .44/New Model Navy .36. The stock yoke is currently what Pietta uses for 1851 Navy 3-screw revolvers, and it comes with a long double-headed replacement hammer screw to facilitate the stock attachment in lieu of the "4th" screw escutcheon found on 4-screw CFS (cut-for-stock) revolvers.

Up until last year I thought this was a Pietta innovation. Not true. I found this on a GunBroker (GB) auction. It is a Gregorelli & Uberti (GU) 1851 Navy 3-screw with the same type stock yoke later used by Pietta. GU was only in business from 1959-1962 because Gregorelli had the manufacturer's license and Uberti had the factory. In 1963 Aldo Uberti obtained a manufacturer's license and the partnership was dissolved. GU produced the first revolvers for Val Forgett/Navy Arms in 1959 but the revolvers produced for that contract were marked Navy Arms and not GU (on the right side of the barrel lug). GU marked guns were marketed separately, usually with no proofmarks or date codes, and no importer markings. Note that the cylinder has no apparent cylinder engraving.

More to come as I consider it a forum duty to post what I have.

Regards,

Jim

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory"-
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Repro Shoulder Stock Types
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 07:06:40 PM »
Fascinating! This is a part of BP history I'm totally ignorant of.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"