Banner

Author Topic: Original Colt Shoulder Stock Types  (Read 229 times)

Online sourdough

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Original Colt Shoulder Stock Types
« on: July 15, 2020, 06:18:53 PM »
Around 1858 Colt wanted to produce a New Model Army, with a lighter weight than the Old Model Army which was the Dragoon. Colt went to all measures to lighten the Dragoon (there are many prototype photos in Charlie Pate's book The Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver (2018), but Colt decided to concentrate upon a NMA based upon the 1851 Navy frame. At that time he was considering an appropriate shoulder stock for sale to the Army concerning the 1848 Dragoon and the 1851 Navy revolvers. After considering 4 different type shoulder stocks as prototypes, Colt patented the Type 3 stock for the !848 Dragoon, the 1851 Navy, and the future 1860 Army. Pate lists shipments of 1848 Dragoon 3rd models and 1851 Navy to the US Army to include shoulder stocks. The Dragoons were referred to as saddle revolvers and the Navies as belt revolvers (pgs 20-21).

Colt's first foray into this can be described a the Type 1, Type 2, Type 3, and Type 4.

The Type 1 can be ascribed as an attempt to use the 1855 sidehammer revolver version that attached to the backstrap via a single point.

The Type 2 must have looked like this with a securing prototype yoke:

I can find no photos of a Type 4 stock. Any assistance would be fantastic.

Regards,

Jim

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
Re: Original Colt Shoulder Stock Types
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 08:41:40 AM »
Jim, I really like all the info you've given about shoulder stocks - thanks for posting. Do you know in practice how useful individual soldiers found the shoulder stocks?

Online sourdough

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:13:57 PM »
I don't think the troopers were very fond of them, from a few snippets I have read here and there. When Colt patented the Type 3 stock, some his US Army contracts specified one stock per two revolvers. I believe that this was purely a marketing ploy so as to get stocks into the troops' hands. I don't think many were sold to civilians.

While they may have been somewhat useful for dismounted cavalry troops, I find it hard to believe that they were favored by mounted troops in combat: troopers could carry many revolvers both on their persons and in saddle pommel holsters without being encumbered by an extra weight to be slung around the shoulder.

Pure conjecture on my part.

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 04:31:11 PM »
Conjecture maybe, but makes sense. Thanks!

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• View Profile
    • FRiends Of the Centaure Society (FROCS)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 02:19:52 AM »
Thanks. SD,
Very informative.
For what it is worth some time ago I did a fun shoot in the rifle mode with an ASM 3rd Model Dragoon and two of my 4-screw frame Centaure Cavalries with their shoulder stocks attached , together with a stocked Mauser Broomhandle and a Russian Stechkin APS for comparison.
IMHO that concept of "pistol with rifle stock attached makes for a handy carbine" looks promising on the drawing board. I feel, however it is the solution for a problem that does not exist:
# For a proper sight picture the breech sights of alle these guns are too close (because the stock is too short), i.e. limited accuracy improvment only,
# Shooting these combos without eye protection (1) is not adding to the comfort when the receivers of the autos are banging backwards or the gas is escaping through the nipples during firing of the cap & ballers, towards your eyes.
My 2 €-cents.
Long Johns Wolf