Author Topic: Dr. Jim L. Davis, Armi San Marco, And A Bit More  (Read 76 times)

Offline sourdough

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dr. Jim L. Davis, Armi San Marco, And A Bit More
« on: July 20, 2020, 06:01:46 PM »
This post/thread was made by Dr. Davis on the FirearmsTALK forum on March 18 2010:

Gentlemen, I really need your help. I am trying to put together the history of Armi San Marco. I seem to have misplaced the file containing all my research about this manufacturer, worse still I am afraid that it may have been in my warehouse which was recently destroyed by fire along with three collectable Mercedes automobiles. Now I am starting from scratch about ASM.

ASM was one of the first Italian manufacturers back in 1960 along with Uberti. Replica Arms was the first importer for ASM revolvers, the first being the 1847 Walker. I do remember an article about this first revolver in that it was so exactly copied from an original that even experienced Colt collectors had difficulty in telling the prototype from an original. Changes were made in the production guns to make sure they could not be passed off as an original. Also, ASM use forged frames instead of castings on many of their revolvers.

Replica Arms of El Paso, TX was started by L.F. Allen. This was sold and moved to Marietta, OH., and then, in around 1973, was sold to Navy Arms. Allen then started Western Arms which became Allen Arms, and then to Cimarron.

I remember that ASM was sold to American Western Arms who only produces cartridge revolvers. ASM attempted to revive its percussion revolvers with limited success and finally closed its doors several years back.

I need sources of information to reestablish the history of ASM and fill in holes. Any help provided will be gratefully acknowledged in out book when published.

To correlate my next thoughts:

I bought this 1848 Pocket .31 6" in 2015 on GunBroker. It was marked Replica Arms El Paso Texas date code XIX/1963 with both Italian proofmarks. No manufacturer markings. I asked around about it and the first (and only) response I received was from Dr. Davis, who stated it was an ASM first year of manufacture. Early ASM revolvers had a unique sloped look insofar as the rear shoulders on the trigger guard, as well as in the area of the load lever/rammer attachment.

This next Pocket belongs to a gentleman in France, the photo of which I obtained from him. It is marked ASM, and it has the same certain characteristics as above, but the recoil shield cutout and the load aperture on the barrel lug are more like the 1849 Pocket. Both revolvers have the short frame, the short forcing cone, and the SB TG like the original 1848 revolvers. ASM in the early years was fairly historically correct insofar as the original Colts. If one studies the original Colt 1848/1849 revolvers

I was intrigued with Davis' mention of Western Arms.

Uberti Dance .36 Cased Set date code AN/1985 SN 0028. Per Davis, it was sold as the Shooter Model with no SN prefix, and the barrel is marked SMLS-INC.-ANGLETON.-TEXAS . It has the original Western Arms/Uberti box. SMLS INC.-ANGLETON.-TEXAS (Southwest Muzzle Loaders Shooters Supply) was an outfit owned/created by Tony Gajewsky. He commissioned a 1-year run of Pietta 1862 Dance And Brothers in 1996, and I own SN C00013 of that series. He must also had a connection with Western Arms/Uberti with Uberti's 1985 one year issue of Dance .36 revolvers.

(Photos: Mark Hubbs/Eras Gone)

There is also a connection concerning Cimarron (formerly Western Arms) and Uberti in the present day.

IMHO, without the files from Dr. Davis (which may be published in the future), and unless we delve into decades-ago Internet posts we will not know many of the associations of the manufacturers/importers just here in the U.S. It is intriguing to me and that is why I am probably the nerd red-headed stepson on this forum.  :)

I will continue in this vein.

Regards,

Jim