General Category > General Discussion

Non-Colt case and accessories

(1/1)

Kim Hyatt:
Greetings all this holiday weekend. I have a 2nd gen Colt 1851 Navy, gun only no accoutrements. When I bought it I didn’t really care much about showing it off but now I think I’d like to have a presentation case with the accessories that could have been purchased with the gun in the 70s. I was a bit chagrined to see the prices folks are asking, $600 and up. So now I’m wondering, would it be too farby (for lack of a better term) to just pick up a non-Colt case and non-Colt accessories to display? 600 bucks just seems like too much but if it’s a good investment I might reconsider.

sourdough:
Kim,

I have three of Hampel's wood cases. Well-made and affordable. If you don't see what you want, Mr. Hampel will give you an estimate on a custom case.

https://www.hampelswoodlandproducts.com/

If you want something fancier, Bill's Cases are very nice.

http://billscases.com/

Hope this helps.

Have a good holiday weekend!

Regards,

Jim

Fingers McGee:
Everyone probably knows my take on this.  In a choice between 2nd Gen items and after market, 2nd Gen wins.  $600 for 2nd Gen NIB case, flask, bullet mold, nipple wrench and cap tin is pricey; but are closest to original and not out of reason IMHO.  After market case & accessories from EMF would run $435.  You might be able to find some better prices on Ebay, or by a pistol with cased accessories from Gunbroker like a RE Lee (GB # 877966674 $579.00 so far) or US Grant set.  2nd Gen stuff is collectable.  After market isn't.   It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Kim Hyatt:
Thank you both Jim and Fingers. Being a newbie I didn’t know your take, Fingers but I respect your opinion. Since I’m in no hurry I’m of a mind to hold out for a better price on authentic 2nd gen stuff. Thanks again.

Fingers McGee:

--- Quote from: Kim Hyatt on September 05, 2020, 07:02:34 PM ---Thank you both Jim and Fingers. Being a newbie I didn’t know your take, Fingers but I respect your opinion. Since I’m in no hurry I’m of a mind to hold out for a better price on authentic 2nd gen stuff. Thanks again.

--- End quote ---

Not to worry.  The 2nd gen stuff shows up all the time on GunBroker . 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version