Banner

Author Topic: USPS - Beware!!  (Read 222 times)

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
USPS - Beware!!
« on: October 02, 2020, 11:44:03 AM »
Y'all may remember that a few weeks ago I posted pics of a brass-frame Italian repop that I let Todd Watts "defarb" to represent a Schneider & Glassick. I fired it once then something happened internally that wouldn't allow the cylinder to rotate, so I sent it back to Todd to see if he could fix it for me. I also sent along with it an old Armi Sport Enfield to have him work his magic on it. I took the package to the post office on September 2. Tracking shows that the guns arrived in Denver but they have since disappeared.  {'P  Today I'm filing a claim, but I really don't want the insurance money - I WANT THE GUNS!

So far I've learned a few things and I'm sure that there are more lessons yet to come. (1) When you ship be sure to insure your guns (or anything of value!) and insure them for at least their value. I don't know if USPS will allow insuring for replacement cost but I didn't do that, so I may not have got enough insurance. (2) Save receipts for everything! Fortunately I can show USPS what I paid for the guns in the first place and the cost of the work that Todd has already performed. (3) This may be the most important lesson so far: DON'T TRUST THE POSTAL SERVICE. I don't want to get political, but my experience seems to bear out the incompetence that has been demonstrated by Louis DeJoy's leadership and the changes that he has been made in recent months. USPS was already a shadow of its former greatness but is now getting worse.  *)-

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: USPS - Beware!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »
Sorry you are having troubles with the USPS.  I have never had any trouble with them, knock on wood.  I've had problems with the UPS and FedEx though.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline sourdough

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 03:45:38 PM »
I, too, have never had a problem with USPS Priority Mail, but that has been limited to only 6-7 transactions.

Then, again, all it takes is one faux pas by them to sour someone about using USPS.

With the current situation concerning voting by mail, the cutbacks by DeJoy's management, et al, things will be different. There is only so much cost-cutting that can be done, especially in this year with all of the crap that is happening, turning everyone's lives upside down.

It ain't business as usual.

Regards,

Jim

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 11:49:35 AM »
I have mailed and been mailed, many black powder guns via USPS. I have never had a problem. I always insure them for their actual value.

First rule of shipping guns through the mail. NEVER TELL THEM IT'S A GUN. Even if they ask, do not disclose this information. It's none of their business what you're shipping. Unless it's some form of hazardous material, they don't need to know. All it takes is one person hearing you're shipping a gun, and it will likely get swiped.

Really bummed to hear your guns are M.I.A.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 10:32:27 AM by ShotgunDave »
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 12:34:51 PM »
Thanks for the tips All! As of noon today I haven't yet heard if/how the USPS plans to resolve this. Wish me luck...

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 08:51:06 AM »
Recently I shipped a pistol (non-gun!) to NJ by Priority mail. It was supposed to be there in 3 days, but took 9 days. I have had several sent and received with no problem, but with the added load on Postal Service these days,  I'm sure there will be some delays for some.

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 02:22:46 PM »
Miracle of miracles! Without any fanfare, email or any other kind of alert from the Postal Service my missing package suddenly showed up at its destination, only 2-1/2 months late!  */) I'll ask Todd to use UPS to send them back.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory"-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 09:16:04 AM »
Wow!...That's both great news and scary news at the same time. Glad you got your package...finally...and didn't have to file a claim.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"