Banner

Author Topic: GLB  (Read 180 times)

Offline sourdough

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
GLB
« on: November 12, 2020, 02:28:16 PM »
This was posted in 2016 by a gentleman named Ringo on a French forum, Repliques Old West. Some of you may remember him posting on CC in the past few years.

"Since I've been looking for information about one of the most mysterious replica manufacturers, the one whose brand brings together three letters in one logo: I've finally collected some data that I think is time to share.

First, the identification of this manufacturer. No weapon bears his full name. Therefore, it is essential to cross-reference objective sources in order to formulate a result. Three concurring sources allow me to give (or confirm) this identification:

- 1- the Armi site of Edoardo Mori, which, in its encyclopedia of weapons and manufacturers lists as the only italian manufacturer name corresponding to these initials Giacosa Luciano,
- 2- the book "Pistols of the World" by Ian V. Hogg and John Walter published by Krause Publications, which mentions Luciano Giacosa and Co.
- 3- the book "Cartridges And Firearm Identification" by Robert E. Walker published by CRC Press, which devotes a page to FIE (Firearms Import and Export) in which is specified:

One Italian gunsmith whose name corresponds to the initials, and who also supplied weapons to the two successive American importers who distributed massively. The correspondence can reasonably be found. Luciano Giacosa, a gunsmith in Brescia, can therefore be identified with the owner of the GLB logo.

Second, what types of weapons did it produce? According to the evidence gathered, he made both cartridge weapons and black powder replicas.

Cartridge Weapons
On the one hand, the article in the book "Pistols of the World" already quoted clearly indicates that Giacosa manufactured closed frame revolvers of .32 caliber and .38 caliber for the importer EIG (Saul Eig, Sarasota FL). Evidence of this can be found on the Internet, with images such as those found on this site: Eig Italian revolver - The Firing Line Forums, which show a revolver made in 1965, a copy of a Smith and Wesson bearing the on the frame the mark "EIG" and on the bottom of the backstrap the "GLB" logo.

These two types are the only ones for which it can be said with certainty that Giacosa made them. Insofar as black powder replicas, as evidenced by Dr. Jim Davis's article "Schneider and Glassick - The "Accidental " Replica Revolver" published on his website RPRCA (Replica Percussion Revolver Collector Association, which no longer exists due to the passing of Davis in September 2019), Giacosa provided EIG with replicas of Schneider and Glassick as early as 1963. This model has been available in two forms: a simple, no-frills model, and a "luxury" model, also as early as 1963, with engravings on all metal parts (load lever excepted).

After the demise of EIG, Giacosa continued to supply its successor, FIE (Firearms Import Export), until 1971, and then gave way to Esterina Riva.

With the arrival of FIE on the market, at least four other models of replica handguns have appeared, all historically incorrect, but inexpensive to produce and therefore for sale to American shooters: an 1848 Pocket Model .31 with brass frame and squareback trigger guard with two barrel lengths, and a brass frame 1851 Schneider and Glassick with naval battle engraving on the cylinder .44 caliber, a Remington 1858 Army .44 with a brass frame, and a Remington 1858 Navy .36 with brass frame. For FIE as well, but at a higher cost, GLB has also produced a fully nickeled S&G.

Until 1968, U.S. law did not require manufacturers to trademark weapons. This is why a number of revolvers produced by Giacosa bear only the importer's trademark. In this case, for the S&G, EIG NAVY on the barrel and the EIG logo in a pair of circles on the backstrap heel. The import of weapons, hitherto very unregulated, saw its rules tightened with the passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968, which quickly led to the collapse of companies such as EIG Cutlery. The activity was taken over by FIE, which introduced even cheaper but lower quality weapons, which allowed it to last until the early 1990s."

Regards,

Jim
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 02:32:27 PM by sourdough »

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
Re: GLB
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 04:19:41 PM »
Great stuff, Jim. Any idea how many guns by this gunsmith may be "out there"?

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 03:37:25 PM »
I've got a consecutive SN pair of the nickel S&Gs.  Serial number 40007 & 40008 with the boxes marked FIE
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 10:56:29 AM »
Two consecutive - that's pretty cool!

Offline sourdough

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 03:17:32 PM »
Kim,

Leave it to Fingers to have something of everything, and that not a cut by any means. It just means I am very jealous. It seems he tries to pare down some of his gun inventory and then in the next breath he increases his inventory toward another vein. We are very lucky to have him here, and he keeps excellent records.

I try to post, for this forum, everything pertinent that I come across. My posts are never to be an end-all, but rather something to build upon. I sometimes wish I had 1% of the stuff I post about, but being appointed as the "historical guy" by Kirk and Dave, I try to glean other forums of info that I think will be useful here. Compared to the old guys, I am a rank noobie just snooping around.

Regards,

Jim

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 05:05:45 PM »
I'll post some pictures later tonight or tomorrow.  OK, I'll do it tonight
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 05:58:54 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 06:05:56 PM »
Here are a few more

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory"-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 09:17:57 AM »
 :o
Man...those are BEAUTIFUL, Fingers!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 12:34:01 AM »
Forgive my ignorance Fingers but I’m not quite sure about what I’m seeing. We’re these FIE guns originally in the white? Have you stripped them down and cleaned and
Polished everything? They are certainly pretty!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 02:56:59 PM »
Kim,  They are factory nickel plated GLB Schneider and Glassick reproductions that were imported by FIE circa 1970.  Every part of each gun is nickel plated.  The arbors of each is only screwed into the frame finger tight and are not pined.  Neithe revolver shows much wear; however, one of them has a broken sear and a loose wedge