Banner

Author Topic: To scrape or not to scrape  (Read 305 times)

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
To scrape or not to scrape
« on: November 18, 2020, 12:49:16 AM »
Hi All. I’m an historical architect/historic preservationist and the title of this thread comes from a question that will probably forever be debated in my world: Should later layers of history be removed to reveal an earlier, or perhaps original condition of an historic building? As it relates to firearms my question is whether it is appropriate to clean and polish a well-worn or beat-up gun to restore a measure of its original luster? I understand how this is sacrilege for historical firearms but what about reproductions of those historic pieces? Should the same arguments apply?

I’ve been considering polishing the brass and rebluing the steel on a tired looking Palmetto 1858 Remington repop that I acquired a couple of months ago, or would that be a mistake? What do you all think? Thanks for your thoughts!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory"-
    • View Profile
Re: To scrape or not to scrape
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 09:08:40 AM »
Kim, Italian 're-pops' are just that; modern reproductions of historical (and valuable) mementos of the past. That being said, there are some rare or old reproductions (e.g. the Gregorelli and Uberti ("GU") repros, and some of the ones that are no longer in production. Those I wouldn't mess with. With respect to 'garden variety' Piettas, etc...totally up to you. They are neither rare nor valuable and altering one to suit your needs is not sacrilege.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »
Thanks, Cap'n. I've looked more closely at the Palmetto that I mentioned and although there's nothing special about it I think I'll leave it alone. One reason I asked the question is that I've now got more guns than I really need and I thought I might sell this one. Alternately it may become a gift to a friend. What should something like this fetch? I've only seen steel-frame Piettas and Ubertis on the various online lists.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »
Most of you know how I feel. These are replicas we fool around with. They hold little value compared to an original. I know Dr. Davis is cussing me from beyond the grave too.

I took a first year production, 1959 G.U. Navy and turned it into a Dance. For me, it's more valuable this way. Everyone on the planet has a re-pop Navy, and they all pretty much look the same. I'm in a very exclusive group of people, that have a proper .36 cal Dance revolver. At last count, there are only three of us.

Do whatever YOU like with your guns. They're a blank canvas just waiting for your personal touch.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »
Thanks, Cap'n. I've looked more closely at the Palmetto that I mentioned and although there's nothing special about it I think I'll leave it alone. One reason I asked the question is that I've now got more guns than I really need and I thought I might sell this one. Alternately it may become a gift to a friend. What should something like this fetch? I've only seen steel-frame Piettas and Ubertis on the various online lists.

Kim, a used Remmy brasser like that could expect to bring maybe 150, 200 tops. I have a similar one I paid under 100 dollars for. While Palmetto has been out of business for some time now, they are neither rare nor unique. And as for you "having enough guns..." I said that like 10 guns ago. I know what I would do if I had it (So does Shotgun Dave...LOL!) I say, do with it as you please, you aren't destroying a piece of history by any means.

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 09:32:28 PM »
Well Cap’n now I have to know, what would you or Shotgun do with a Remmy brasser? I have to ask ‘cause I just don’t know. I paid $75 so I’m ok to get creative.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 11:23:21 AM »
Well Cap’n now I have to know, what would you or Shotgun do with a Remmy brasser? I have to ask ‘cause I just don’t know. I paid $75 so I’m ok to get creative.

Well...Dave and I discussed this at length. I would do a Kirst Konverter in .45 Colt (with loading gate and Richards-Mason ejector) and use this brass:

https://www.starlinebrass.com/45-cowboy-special

...to develop a mouse-gun BP load of maybe 15-20gr of 2F powder behind a sub-200gr bullet...which should not stress the frame or recoil shield (.45-20 Colt Short, anyone?) Of course, I would stamp the top barrel flat as ".45-20 Colt Short Only" so nobody would attempt to load cowboy loads.
That would give you a truly unique conversion revolver IMHO. But, that's just me. ::)

Offline Kim Hyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 10:02:54 PM »
Something for me to look into - thanks Cap!