Banner

Author Topic: Colt 1848 Baby Dragoon Transitional Model Cal. .31  (Read 158 times)

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• View Profile
    • FRiends Of the Centaure Society (FROCS)
Colt 1848 Baby Dragoon Transitional Model Cal. .31
« on: May 08, 2021, 06:06:14 AM »
I could liberate this rare  Baby Dragoon variant with loading lever a few days ago at an Egun auction (iGerman internet auction house).
She had been kept under glass on display for more than the last 40 years in a museum which migt explain the spots on the bluing.
Somebody played with her using the wrong size screwdriver.
Interesting observations: the screw connecting loading lever and plunger gets in from the right side like on the early Dragoons, the forcing cone is of the short variant.
She is of 1974 Army san Marco production (XXX).
Typical marks and markings on the left side: BLACK POWDER ONLY and MADE IN ITALY on the barrel, MARCO forward left on the frame.
Under the barrel lug S/N 1817 and the ORION stamp of German HEGE subsidiary.
Long Johns Wolf

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Colt 1848 Baby Dragoon Transitional Model Cal. .31
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 12:54:35 PM »
Nice one.  NIB/NOS San Marco's are rare.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline sourdough

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 01:52:11 PM »
Here are two I used to have. The first is a Replica Arms El Paso Texas datecode XIX/1963 and the second is a Replica Arms Marietta Ohio datecode XXV/1969. The rear shoulders on the trigger guards of ASM Pockets have a distinctive shallow slope, they have the short frame, short forcing cone, and the shallow V-notch load aperture on the right barrel lug, which are historically accurate. All are 5-shot here, but I have seen a photo of an ASM 6-shot 6".

Regards,

Jim
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 01:55:31 PM by sourdough »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• View Profile
    • FRiends Of the Centaure Society (FROCS)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 12:11:34 AM »
Wow, 1963, that is early, SD.
When did ASM start making the Baby Dragoons?
In 1961?
Long Johns Wolf

Offline sourdough

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 06:50:53 AM »
According to the late Dr. Jim L. Davis, the first year of manufacture was 1963 for the Replica Arms El Paso Texas importer.