Banner

Author Topic: boil them????  (Read 106 times)

Offline kendudley

• View Profile
boil them????
« on: July 18, 2021, 10:21:08 AM »
I found I am extremely allergic to Renaissance Museum Wax.  It contains Benzine among other stuff .  I looked it up on line and it basically said,  don't get this stuff on your skin,
so..
     I have to remove it from all my antique guns..colts in particular.  I have cleaned them with carb cleaner, and other such stuff, but I hear
Boiling them., grips removed, will take off All wax. oil, etc. ten a drop of clock or Jojoba oil for the action only.  a non petrolium oil.

If I do that, will it hurt the spring temper??
   I  have a stainless  pot I can  use....
       thanks...Ken

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory"-
    • View Profile
Re: boil them????
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 08:34:46 PM »
I would simply use isopropyl alcohol. Boiling would probably work but you will get a ton of flash rust afterwards
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline kendudley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 08:15:47 AM »
I thought of alcohol, abut used carb soap type cleaner on them all..  I looked up wax remover and found that there are some for use on cars.
    I'll shop around. 
   I picked up the 51 navy last night and have a reaction already.   so it did not work well. 
       #$%^& wax.....
  Ken

Offline kendudley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 10:07:51 AM »
just bought some naphtha from Home Depot.    label says it removes wax.   now to put on the hazmat suit and try it. 
OK  rubber gloves, eye protection, fan bowing fumes out of garage. 
(had to do this because wife would not do it for me!)

the Naphtha cleaned it really well,  used paper towels,and kept changing them.some 'junk" came off what I though were clean guns.
   then I used Ballistol  (I looked up the ingredients and it looks OK, nothing dangerous...

the old Colts and the Sharps percussion carbine cleaned up really well....nice coating on the metal.

this seems to be the best solution....
   Ken
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:59:42 AM by kendudley »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 11:23:18 AM »
Glad you found a solution Ken. I was going to recommend acetone. We used it to degrease planes before we painted them. It evaporates quickly and dissolves grease and oil.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline tljack

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 03:54:44 PM »
I have used brake cleaner with success. It is even very effective in removing BP residue also. After  using it I use compressed air to blow dry the gun. (Grips removed of course). I am especially fond of Kroil so i pray it liberally through the gun and again blow excess away with compressed air, then wipe with clean cloth.
Never Surrender and shoot till the powder is gone!