Banner

Author Topic: I'm in shock!!!  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory"-
    • View Profile
I'm in shock!!!
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:36:57 AM »
Just drove out to meet a guy from a local Armslist ad; we exchanged greenbacks (won't say how much) for what turns out to be a ASM (Armi San Marco) First Model Dragoon from Dixie Gun Works, 1981 (AH) model. It looked nice in the pictures, but...
HOLY TOLEDO!!!!!
Except for a few tiny scratches here and there, this thing looks like it left the factory last WEEK, not thirty years ago! It almost appears (dare I say it?) UNFIRED!!! The wood is the nicest I've seen and wood-to-metal fit is impeccable! No turn ring. Absolutely gorgeous CCH colors, pristine bore, all screws appear un-turned. Too late for photos tonight but will get them up over the weekend. This thing is an eye-popper. All writing on the bottom of the barrel except "Dixie Gun Works" (left side, very unobtrusive), nice brass, this thing is the cat's pajamas!
Now for the bad news...I bought it to flip. But I don't know if I can. It's THAT nice. Like going back in a time warp to Big Hair days!!!!! I love Dragoons, and this one is knocking my socks off....  {'P
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:59:38 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in shock!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:37:40 PM »
I understand where you're coming from.  I'm wanting to sell off 15 or 20 from my collection; but can't seem to part with any.  every time I make a pile to sell, I find a reason to keep them
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory"-
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in shock!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:04:51 AM »
For those of you who may not have seen the photos on the other sites...

OK, here's a few hastily-shot teasers...until I can get some better lighting:

The grips. Note the nice little burl down towards the bottom...

More grips...

Date code (AH), serial no. and proof marks...

Shots of the CCH. I had previously noted the screws had never been turned. In this photo you can see they in fact, have, and you can see a scratch near one of the screws...

The DGW logo, barely visible on the side...

Loading lever latch...

ASM logo under the loading lever...

...and finally, one in the usual hang-out spot!

My mind is made up, for the moment anyway. This one stays. My crappy photos do not do this Dragoon justice.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:30:46 AM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"